1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

longest rehearsal ever, whew!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sb69coupe, May 29, 2007.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Man, we had a marathon rehearsal yesterday. 10:00am to 3:00pm with a short 20 minute break for lunch. I feel like I've been run through a wringer. I'm too old for this sh*t. :eek:

The band has been on a very sporadic schedule for over a year now, but we're trying to get back in gear. The guitarist booked a gig for June 2nd and we have nearly run out of time to get the sets in order and tighten them up. 51 songs divided into three sets makes for a VERY long practice session. I was using my Lakland DJ5 which is a little on the heavy side, and my shoulder paid the price for it.

The good news is that we've gotten everything in pretty decent shape and should be good to go for Saturday night.

So, what's the longest you guys have rehearsed/jammed in a single session?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Hmmm...I've played gigs that lasted longer than that...:D

3. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    I've done a nine hour recording session before. Granted, alot of it was listening, scratch tracks, reworking, and some vocals.

4. Hi, sb69coupe

As I live at some distance from our rehearsal space, there's only one rehearsal/week. A normal is around 3-4hours, with a occasional smoke for those who smoke, and a leak for those who don't ;), and a long one before a gig around 5-6 hours.

Gigs are from 3*45min to 6 hours depending of the place and the audience. (last weekend 3*40 + 20 on one place, then a short drive and a 2*30 on another)

Sam

5. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    Imagine that you were playing for Frank Zappa?

It would be like that every day!

6. StongBass

StongBass

Feb 28, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    In my younger days, one of my first bands would get together Saturday at around 1 or 2 pm, and jam until midnight easily. (I built the strength up in my hands real quick). The rehearsal space was way out in the boonies, so we never had a problem with noise ordinance. About 9, 10 pm people would start showing up with booze, and it would turn into a party. (I think my parents thought i had a second job at the time).

7. Noon-5 with a lunch break is pretty common for us.

8. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    doesn't really seem that long to me.

... i used to practice in two bands consecutively...
    four hours each... load in/load out time in between...

8 hours of practice every time we did...

[spunj13]

9. MrRumble

MrRumble

Aug 8, 2006
    Plymouth, MN
    4 to 6 hour rehersals is our usual, and I don't consider it a marathon.Tireing for sure but it makes the gigs seem easy.

10. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    I rarely(!!!) have a band practice lasting less than 3 hours. My main band rehearses 4 hours pr. rehearsel.
    When I was at the age of 9-12 i was in a boys choir, sometimes we'd rehearse for 12 hours with a 30 min. break. Then again, we where the best boys 'n men choir in the country.

11. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Well, I guess I've just gotten soft in my old age. When I was around 20 we'd always rehearse for 4 hours or so. Haven't done that in so long that this marathon session really took it out of me.

"What a drag it is, getting old......."

12. since all of us in my band go to different colleges along the eastern US coast...we dont get to practice much during the school year..we will though schedule gigs during breaks and will often have a week to get all of our set together..we average 7-8 hrs a day for that week...normally by the 3-4 nights we cut it short since we are exhausted but we try to push through

13. no were as near long as other gigs/ sessions i seen but cool enough

14. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    When I have student concert rehearsals we start at 9AM and go to 7PM. We have a different student roughly every 6 mins with a 30 min lunch break. Luckily thats only twice a year!

15. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    i just recently filled in for a band down here in florida,i had to learn about 16 new songs in about 2 days,i like the practice and gig sessions,but the unloading and loading is what kills me.

16. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    we played a marathon(the 26 mile race) two years ago, set up was at 6 AM, we played till 4:30, it was cool though, we were set up right at the finish line

17. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    my band starts practicing at about 6 p.m. and we end practice between 9:30 and 10 p.m. with a half hour, sometimes an hour, break in between to either discuss band stuff, get dinner or both.

18. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    My current band never practices. At all.

Occasionally we'll get together to jam and write songs, but rarely do we play out live set during practice. When we get together its just writing.

That said, we've gotten immense feed back from our live shows. We do a lot of improv (think led zeppelin's live shows as well as cream's)

19. i hate to shut you down but meh my first rehersal was six hours. The rehersal rooms in my suburb give you a six hour session for $45 AU so heaps of bands do it. I think it isnt long enough

20. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    that's why you bring a chair =)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021