longest rehearsal ever, whew!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sb69coupe, May 29, 2007.

1. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    thats nothing i've had practice sessions from 11am all the way to 11pm...granted we did take a lunch and dinner break and played basketball for a bit

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Probably 4 hours (that's my limit). I'm not a proponant of long rehearsals. If you cut out all the idle chatter and constant noodling, a lot can be accomplished in 2 hours! I start looking at my watch at the 2 hour mark!

3. my band jams regularly on saturdays from 12-5 and during lunch at school.

one time, we had a gig at a fete and had to come up with a lot of new songs, so the weekend before we jammed from 7pm till midnight, and then the next day from 11 till 7, with only 2 10 min breaks for toilet and food. needless to say, were sick of noise for a VERY long time.

rocked out the fete though.

4. Gadolinium

Gadolinium

Feb 3, 2007
    Wiltshire UK
    We've done a 24 hour band practice before. Ok, so that does include sleeping and eating, but it was still hard...

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Sounds like you work the same way we do. There's not much wasted time in our rehearsals. In the marathon session we had on Monday we played through 51 songs start to finish. We made sure that the intros and endings were tight, then worked out some rough parts in some of them, and quickly moved to the next one. No smoke breaks, noodling, jamming, etc.

The gig is tomorrow night, and should be lots of fun (and hopefully no trainwrecks).

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i played my longest rehearsal ever at 4 hours the other nite. that's enough for me. i really feel for the drummers. their job is much more physical.

7. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    My worst practicing session was a whole weekend two or three years ago for a big rock/pop gig we had booked for the following Friday (>1000 people in the audience, huge event for the small town). On Friday, we practiced from around 5 pm to 10 pm, on Saturday 11 am to around 7pm, and on Sunday 10 am to 4 pm. Of course with lunch/beer breaks in between... I also sang in that band and that weekend killed my throat for 4 days. At least the Sunday was a real hell for my voice. I got a terrible, short-lasting headache on every high note I sung.... I get that sometimes when really pushing to get those high notes.

On the next Friday, when we had the gig, I thought I had never before sung as good as I did that night. That was kind of a weird, but pleasant, surprise to me. :)

A rehearsal should IMO last 3-4 hours with a break included. I don't have any problem with rehearsals lasting up to 6 hours, if there are lunch and coffee (or beer:)) breaks in between. But I'll never do the same weekend practicing again....

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Our practices are almost always from 6:30 to 11:00 pm with a 20 minute break in the middle, but we tend to work hard with very little idle time while on the clock.

My longest gig was when I was on vacation a few years ago and I heard about a local musician who had just released a CD and was putting on an all day party at his house, open to the public and with tons of free food and beer and a stage with a PA for any musicians to jam if they wanted. Of course I went, and after feeding my face with burgers and potato salad around noon, I was asked to play bass since I was the only bassist there, among a half dozen guitar players, two drummers, keys, sax, flute, trumpet, dobro, banjo and a few others, some of them full time pros. We jammed on country and blues tunes from 12:30 until 6:00 pm with a couple of quick breaks I managed to sneak in, and then after an hour break for some more food, we played from 7:00 pm until 2:30 am, throwing in a bunch of classic rock and some jazz standards on top of the blues and country we were still cranking out. While everyone else was able to rotate on and off the stage, everytime I tried to take a longer rest break people would pester me to get back up on stage " 'cause you can't play blues without the bassline".

In all, I played almost twelve hours out of a fourteen hour period, but the truth is I was having so much fun playing without any pressure, just throwing out tunes spontaneously to an appreciative, carefree audience on a perfect summer day that I didn't want to quit.

9. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I wish we would practice.
    A new song is called out at a gig or by e-mail.
    We're a 3 piece blues rock band so for the most part it's all 1,4,5. Pretty simple but it'd sure be nice to do a real practice or a jam. But we play too often to do that.