1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Longest scale bass guitars avaliable...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garmenteros, Oct 4, 2009.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I tried search function to no luck... i know there are some longer than 36 scale basses out there.... Anyone care to point me in the right direction... also how many of you agree the longer the scale the tighter those low notes sound... specially that b on a 5er... i feel the same way about my 35scale custom jazz graphite neck bass... the b feels much tighter than on my 34 scale 20th anniversary stingray 5

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, the big guns that I know of include Knuckle, Dingwall, and Schack. Looks like Knuckle's website is down, which is too bad since those were some cool-looking basses.

3. 37" on a Brice 6 string. Too long for me. Couldnt tell you how good the low notes sounded though, owned it for 2 weeks and wasn't good enough to produce a quality note.

4. Knuckle Guitar Works has a 39" Scale bass called the Quake.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
  6. sukop has a 37 inch scale... upright is 42

7. Knuckle would be the longest ones I've ever seen for Electric basses at 39,55'' scale.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I agree, after a lot of testing of nearly identical basses, aside from scale length, that scale length does make a difference in how tight a string sounds. I don't, however, agree that it's a panacea, since there are so many basses with long scale (34"), and even shorter, that sound very nice with a low B string. Sometimes a tighter G string (jokes, anyone???) or higher can have an equal but opposite effect that some people don't like. For me, the extended scale length just feels like more of a stretch, which is why I prefer to keep basses that are 34".

All else equal, it's hard to argue, but it's pretty hard to find basses that are "all else equal". I have, but on very rare occasions. For example, Jerzy Drozd and Chris Stamaugh have build numerous basses at both scale lengths that I've been able to A/B, where I did notice a difference. But, unless a luthier commonly engages in such an experiment, there are so many other factors that can make it a hit-or-miss.

That said, if you've found a recipe that works for you, congrats! Stick with what you know and enjoy it. I did.

9. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I have a custom 36" scale Elrick 5 string. The low B is really nice & tight. It's kinda hard to find strings long enough, but GHS makes some. I use flats.