Longest song ever?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frankencow150, Feb 16, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    So whats the longest song ever?I remember on JT's site it said he has a 40-minute song...thats longer than some concerts!!!
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Iron Butterflies "In Da Gadda-da-Vidda" could run upwards of an hour at live shows.
  3. What about studio recordings rather than live performances? "telegraph road" by Dire Straits is 14 minutes long.
  4. well... Achilles, Agony And Ecstasy In Eight Parts by Manowar is 28:38.

5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Dream Theater's recent "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" is somewhere around 40 minutes. You can find lengthy pieces everywhere in the prog rock genre.

I'm sure that someone must have made a song which occupies all 80 minutes on a CD - it's one of those things which are too obvious to not have been done already.
  6. "A Billion Bottles of Beer on the Wall":D

I think the longest song I remember was Frank Zappas "Billy The Mountain", 26 minutes plus and no instrumentals.
  7. Zappa's "Don't eat the yellow snow" went somewhere over 28 min. on "you can't do that on stage anymore"... :) but that was live though.

btw... shouldn't this thread be in Misc. not OT?
  8. There was Mike Oldfields 'Tubular Bells' Which is really only one song that takes up both sides of an LP.
    The Doors 'The End' ran upwards of 30 minutes a couple of times live.
    There is Pink Floyds 'Echoes' which is about 20 mins long. Theres lots of very long Pink Floyd songs. Im sure today they would have made them even longer without the constraints of vinyl.
  9. Valid point, I think a Rush or YES epic prog rock song would loose its flow if they had to tag a "Please turn disk over" at the center of a song.
  10. winter - into the cold ( 24:11 )

longest video i've seen. doom-metal about nuclear warfare.

edit : it's more like 3 songs in 1 video..
  11. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Goldie (unconvincing baddie in James Bond films and occasional drum and bass fella) had a song on his last album called Mother, which lasted for (I believe) 56 minutes.
  12. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Why dont you just look in the book of records? Im pretty sure its in there cause a friend of mine used to talk about it cause I said I was gonna make the longest song, and he would say "No you cant the record is blah blah blah and its this long"
  13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    actually, you are ALL wrong, there is a old hymn that is 754 verses long!!! it covers the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. the hymn is called "Sing God's Song"

14. RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    I guess since god lives so long, he has a long so he doesn't get bored
  15. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    It's not the longest, but it's up there....
    "The Great Nothing" by Spock's Beard, 27:18

16. Well, some German musicals can last for days. But I believe they were outlawed by the Geneva Convention, under the articles of Treatment of Prisoners.:D

The longest I have ever heard is The Pickle Song by Arlo Guthrie. It's around 30 min or so.

Rock on
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Longest song by a rock band: "Tales From Topographic Oceans" by Yes.

One composition, 4 album sides, approximately (I can't remember the exact time) 50-55 minutes long easily.
  18. MArillion did a song called Grendel which is 17-18 mins long - and it was a B side!!!! (Who else remebers B sides??) Also, their album Misplaced Childhood is a sort of medaly (sp??) and so although it is made up of a number of distinct songs it doesn't actually stop!!!

However, I see this answer is small fry compared to some of the above and I will now beat a hasty retreat!!!
  19. There's loads of long songs, like Deluge have on average 20 min songs, but i find that long songs can become boring. A piece of music is meant to touch something inside, invoke feelings, convey what the singer/band is on about. One can only keep a few feelings at that peak for so long.

20. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I'd say it's 4 compositions, connected lyrically but not as much musically. Not even Yes said it was one song, but rather 4 of them. If you go that route, you might as well call "The Wall" or "Animals" "one song".

How about Jethro Tull? Would "Thick as a Brick" qualify as one song? (With my definition ;))