1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

longest upright strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by [CRTL+ALT+DEL], Jun 24, 2018.

1. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

[CRTL+ALT+DEL] mad scientist

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    so i'm going to make an electric upright LIKE instrument. maybe i'll get ergo to make it if i'm lucky. i want to make the longest scale instrument i can.

what is the longest speaking length string that i can buy off the shelf? i want to see if i can do what i'm thinking about doing with out getting expensive custom wound strings.

i could email the top 20 companies but i feel like there is a helpful rainman around here that might help. thanks in advance

2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Are you asking for the longest electric bass strings? Or do you want upright strings? If it's the latter, obviously, there's a lot of choice there, and you might be better served asking about different strings in the double bass forum. :)

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Longest non-custom electric bass strings are 40" scale from Kalium Music Home
    Available in gauges from .008 plain steel to .266 roundwound. A set of singles in custom gauges is no more expensive than their sets.
    See https://store.kaliummusic.com/TensionCalculator/index.html for technical drawing and tension chart for any scale length.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The longest commonly available doublebass strings are likely Thomastik Spirocore (S42 set). It is possible that some other set would have a mm or so on them give or take, but not more than that and Spirocores are commonly available, very good strings and last literally, forever.

5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Kalium is developing an electric upright with a 60" scale, so in future such strings may be available non-custom.

6. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Pull some off of a 9' grand piano.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Hopefully you already know about the octobass.

maxresdefault.jpg

8. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

[CRTL+ALT+DEL] mad scientist

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Best info I got from this thread. They’re busy over there. I haven’t talked to skip in a while. I guess I’ll aim for 60” for my personal use eub