1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Longest You've Kept on a Single Set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    please, give time (approximate time may suffice) and make/model

me: since mid-summer. DR hi-beams on my spector (which i play quite a lot). i figure around 9 months and counting...

2. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I play hard...so I'm lucky to go 3 months. usually it's about that though. anywhere from 2-4 practices a week, and anywhere from 1-3 gigs a week, I kinda kill strings...which is a pity. I can;t go and spend 50 a shot on strings, so I'm stuck on Fender bass strings, on a purely economic level.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    8 months and counting on my Fender flats.

4. I've got a pair of Thomasilks on my Jazz, been on there for 14 months and counting. I pratice with the bass 3 hours a day, and gig twice a week. Man should i replace those strings

5. 9 months on my elixirs. To me, it almosts like theyre improving. Im so fond of these strings, i dont think Ill be trying anohter brand for a very long while

6. I had a set of ghs Boomers on my (ex) Fender Jazz for about a year. At first I didnt have the money to buy a new set because I was breaking my guitar strings weekly... and then I started to like the "thump" I got from the dead strings.

7. heelflip86

heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    well everyone, i got my bass in 1998, and havent changed the strings since because ive gotten used to the sound and started to like it, i dunno, maybe i just forgot what new strings sounded like?? lol

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The longest i went was a year. damn! new strings are BRIGHT after playing with some jizzy strings.

9. I've had Rotosound Tapewounds on my fretless Ray 5 for around 9 months now.. I don't think they'll be leaving.

I had a set of D'Addario Prisms on my Peavey that must have lasted me 7 months or so of use.. I took them off once but kept them as a backup and a few months later I decided to put them back on.. they were still surprisingly bright after maybe 4 months of sitting in a gigbag.

10. the 35-95 set of Rotosound Jazz flatwounds on my Hohner TWP600B accoustic have been on for over 5 years now.
    I love the tone, so I don't need to change them.

I keep boiling roundwounds after they go dead- the set of 45-105 Rotosound Swing Bass on my Hohner B2A headless are about 2 years old now.

with headed basses I have to buy new sets after about 6-7 months as the silk ends and windings start falling apart after repeated soaking in white spirit and boiling.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I used to frequently keep strings on for a year or more since I couldn't really afford to buy new sets that often... I think my record has to be somewhere between two and three years. :p

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The D'Addario Chromes have been on the G&L for about a year, and I just recently changed the strings on my Epiphone for the first time in about 6 years.

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Elixirs, June '99 thru Feb '01. They weren't dead, either -- I just wanted to try the new Nanowebs!

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Slowounds on my MIA P for 14 months and counting...

15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I don't know exactly how long, but all four of my electrics have strings about 1 1/2 old or older. I once had Thomastik Spirocores on my upright for 12 years! At $140 or so a set, I can go a long time without new strings.

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I bought an old Danelectro bass in 1978, put on a fresh set of D'Addario HalfRounds and they have never been changed.

That's 24 years and counting :cool:

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've kept the Thomastik Jazz Flats on my MIM Jazz for a year. I pulled 'em off, only because I wanted to go back to roundwound...maybe I shouldn't have???

When I'm actively gigging, I change the strings on my bass every week or two at the most. When I'm not gigging, I'll go about 2 months without changing strings.

18. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    16 months on my acoustic.
    I'm dreading the day I break one

I HATE new strings:mad:

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I put some Peavey Stainless Steel straings on my Dyna-Bass about 1990/91. I went through a hiatus of about 5 years there where I didn't play much. I then joined GUM! and recorded the Chew album with them in 1997/98. I used the same strings. After practicing with them for about 6 months with the bamd they started having intonation problems so I replaced them. So Seven Years is my longest stint on one set.

Currently the strings on my Palaedium are 4 years old. I think those are the oldest ones I have in use today.

I like old strings. Hate new ones.

20. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Philbiker, maybe there's a market out there for crusty old strings. Kinda like the "relic" instruments that Fender sells. You could put them in a smokehouse, drag them behind a truck, then soak them in bacon grease for a few months. You could then sell "Relic" string sets at $150 a set. I love old strings, too, but prefer the do-it-yourself method of "relic-ing."