Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Longest You've Kept on a Single Set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    please, give time (approximate time may suffice) and make/model

me: since mid-summer. DR hi-beams on my spector (which i play quite a lot). i figure around 9 months and counting...

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I play hard...so I'm lucky to go 3 months. usually it's about that though. anywhere from 2-4 practices a week, and anywhere from 1-3 gigs a week, I kinda kill strings...which is a pity. I can;t go and spend 50 a shot on strings, so I'm stuck on Fender bass strings, on a purely economic level.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    8 months and counting on my Fender flats.

4. I've got a pair of Thomasilks on my Jazz, been on there for 14 months and counting. I pratice with the bass 3 hours a day, and gig twice a week. Man should i replace those strings

5. 9 months on my elixirs. To me, it almosts like theyre improving. Im so fond of these strings, i dont think Ill be trying anohter brand for a very long while

6. I had a set of ghs Boomers on my (ex) Fender Jazz for about a year. At first I didnt have the money to buy a new set because I was breaking my guitar strings weekly... and then I started to like the "thump" I got from the dead strings.

7. heelflip86

heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    well everyone, i got my bass in 1998, and havent changed the strings since because ive gotten used to the sound and started to like it, i dunno, maybe i just forgot what new strings sounded like?? lol

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The longest i went was a year. damn! new strings are BRIGHT after playing with some jizzy strings.

9. I've had Rotosound Tapewounds on my fretless Ray 5 for around 9 months now.. I don't think they'll be leaving.

I had a set of D'Addario Prisms on my Peavey that must have lasted me 7 months or so of use.. I took them off once but kept them as a backup and a few months later I decided to put them back on.. they were still surprisingly bright after maybe 4 months of sitting in a gigbag.

10. the 35-95 set of Rotosound Jazz flatwounds on my Hohner TWP600B accoustic have been on for over 5 years now.
    I love the tone, so I don't need to change them.

I keep boiling roundwounds after they go dead- the set of 45-105 Rotosound Swing Bass on my Hohner B2A headless are about 2 years old now.

with headed basses I have to buy new sets after about 6-7 months as the silk ends and windings start falling apart after repeated soaking in white spirit and boiling.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I used to frequently keep strings on for a year or more since I couldn't really afford to buy new sets that often... I think my record has to be somewhere between two and three years. :p

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The D'Addario Chromes have been on the G&L for about a year, and I just recently changed the strings on my Epiphone for the first time in about 6 years.

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Elixirs, June '99 thru Feb '01. They weren't dead, either -- I just wanted to try the new Nanowebs!

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Slowounds on my MIA P for 14 months and counting...

15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I don't know exactly how long, but all four of my electrics have strings about 1 1/2 old or older. I once had Thomastik Spirocores on my upright for 12 years! At $140 or so a set, I can go a long time without new strings.

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I bought an old Danelectro bass in 1978, put on a fresh set of D'Addario HalfRounds and they have never been changed.

That's 24 years and counting :cool:

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've kept the Thomastik Jazz Flats on my MIM Jazz for a year. I pulled 'em off, only because I wanted to go back to roundwound...maybe I shouldn't have???

When I'm actively gigging, I change the strings on my bass every week or two at the most. When I'm not gigging, I'll go about 2 months without changing strings.

18. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    16 months on my acoustic.
    I'm dreading the day I break one

I HATE new strings:mad:

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I put some Peavey Stainless Steel straings on my Dyna-Bass about 1990/91. I went through a hiatus of about 5 years there where I didn't play much. I then joined GUM! and recorded the Chew album with them in 1997/98. I used the same strings. After practicing with them for about 6 months with the bamd they started having intonation problems so I replaced them. So Seven Years is my longest stint on one set.

Currently the strings on my Palaedium are 4 years old. I think those are the oldest ones I have in use today.

I like old strings. Hate new ones.

20. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Philbiker, maybe there's a market out there for crusty old strings. Kinda like the "relic" instruments that Fender sells. You could put them in a smokehouse, drag them behind a truck, then soak them in bacon grease for a few months. You could then sell "Relic" string sets at $150 a set. I love old strings, too, but prefer the do-it-yourself method of "relic-ing."