Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Longetivity of a Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madsky, May 5, 2001.

1. madsky

madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    How long do you actually keep your basses before selling them off or putting em under your basement ? It seems people around here have a maximum of 2 years IMO. (for normal basses :) )Why not buy a bass you can keep for decades? (uh... yeah) How long do you keep your basses anyway ? :)

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think how long a bass is kept is decided on how much someone likes it. I'd never sell a bass that I liked, but that's just me. I don't think you should sell a bass for fun. If the tones are still good, it's still good.

3. alot of it has to do with usage.

for example: if you play your bass a whole lot (a whole lot by meaning 5+ years) and if it has a lot of wear on it and its been banged, dropped a couple of times, etc. it could just get to where its not its spunky self anymore.

but on the other hand on occasion you can find really old basses in perfectly good condition. so i guess my theory has been proven false.

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've had my favorite bass for 20 years. I'm not playing it right now because I want to have some work done on it, and my G&L is actually better suited for me at the moment. While it may be under the bed, the Epiphone isn't going anywhere for quite some time.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How long? For me, untill I can no longer keep the neck. I.E. can't re-level the frets, the fretboard is nearly transparent, and the head is looking the bridge sqaure in the eye. Which depends on usage. Me? I'm not retiring my bass (Ibanez GSR200). I love the neck too much. I'm just gonna replace the body, and tuners, and keep going (regardless of my other basses. I'm only gonna have 1 four. And this is gonna be it) The neck is the only thing I'm not getting rid of.

6. I've had my Gibson Ripper since 1988 and could not ever bring myself to sell it. I have 7 basses and that's the one I always come back to.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Depends on the bass. I've had some I've only kept months and even that was too long, (junk). I had a Norma I had to get rid of within one month because you could hardly tell one note from another.

On the other hand, I still have and use a pre-CBS I bought used in `75 and a Rick 4001 I bought a couple of years later. The Precis goes to gigs regularly and is all original, other than a fret job and a couple of other small parts replacements. But, it has always been well taken care of and about the biggest "defect" is that the finish is pretty well gone in some contact areas.

There are just so many good basses these days, it's very tempting to get the flavor of the month.

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm only allowed one bass at a time right now. The longest I had was my Yamaha BB3000 from 1987-1997.

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Thats VERY True to me :( Except my Salas!! I SHALL keep that forever! its my only custom :) IM trying VERY hard to sell my Modulus Q5 right now(its on classified section) $1100+Shipping

10. Jeez, DM, I've been playing longer than you have and I've had a third as many basses as you have. Lessee...you've had your Squier, the Carvin fretless, the Dean 6, that custom Warmoth/Moses J, the Salas, and now the Modulus, which you want to sell for a Warwick...talk about GAS, man!

I started with a Mexi J. Nice beginner bass, until you realize that the neck might as well be made of PVC. I put in DiMarzio Model Js and an EMG BTC Control, and it sounded much better (I sometimes miss how much that bass growls), but by the time I'd sold it I'd almost completely maxed out the truss rod, the neck was made of such cheap wood.

I have a Dean Edge Custom 5 now, and it's a much better instrument. I sporadically get GAS for a better 5 or 6, and since I've put my guitar-playing on indefinite hold I may well have enough money to get one by Christmas, at which point I will have my Dean defretted and epoxied.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Depends on whether I still find it useful or valuable.
    I've bought basses and turned them over immediately because that was why I bought them, I've kept others for over twenty years and never plan on selling them.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i seriously doubt that i will ever sell any of my basses, even my 4 strings that i haven't played in ~8 years. i'm just a pack rat that way, i guess.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm a very compulsive guy. I like to have new toys. Sometimes I see something new so I have to sell something.

The bass I have for the longest time & I won't sell is an '84 G&L L-2000 That I got in '93. It's beat to hell & plays & sounds GREAT!!!

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm the same way. That's why I have 18 basses. I should have 3 more (a Rick and 2 Precisions) but some @$$holes stole them. Eight of them (I think, it's hard to keep track) I have had since the 80's.

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    well i only ave the Squier, that Dean, and Salas and Mod

16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I had my 1st (Vox Delta) from 1968 to 1998. It was short scale with flat wounds and I would never play it again now that I know what a real bass is. I bought my '66 Jazz in '83 and it is a keeper. I kept a '76 T'bird 11 years until I got tired of holding up the neck. I turned a Warwick Fortress One and the Fbass very quickly, they just didn't do it. All the rest I'll probably keep for many years. It's kinda sad not having GAS, it's like some spark is missing. Does anybody know what I mean?

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not yet. Maybe someday I'll get there.:)

That would be strange though, life with no GAS.

18. I am 17 and play in a metal/punk/funk/ska band and I stull use my Ampeg Big Stud 75% of the time. I have played it for about 5 years and before that it was in a basement for about 10 years. It was my dads bass since he was younger then me and that's the only one he used. A bass can have plenty of longevity.