1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Longhorn structural integrity overhaul

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Blank_0101, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    So I just got a newer Korean Dano Longhorn. Never played one but always wanted one and the price was right.

Now that I have it, it seems a nice bass, but a lot of the "cheese" factor people adore about the bass I think could be eliminated and retain everything we love about the longhorn "dano" tone.

I am considering adding threaded inserts in the neck and neck pocket area as well as the three bridge screws to prevent the tension stripping the screw holes and if anything increase sustain.

Also I will be adding a neck plate which the dano lacks if I can for increased hold. As well as a dual output jack for stereo use, and maybe adding a piezo buzzer in the cavity if that is known to work, I have yet to try it and the hollow body with no holes seemed a good position.

If anyone knows these ideas won't work, or tips, or have other ideas please let me know. I feel this is a great bass, but could really use a few upgrades to turn it into a solid bass, that still looks cheesy but doesn't feel cheesy.

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm with you.

I always considered the Longhorn design an underachiever.
    Tone wise, there's something very special there.
    Weight wise, there's something very special there.

But I, too, never bought into the cheese. I own basses to perform and play, not to be cheesy relics of the past.

A modern design of the Longhorn would go over very well, but it never quite happened.

Good luck with your journey trying to step that bass up.

3. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    I wonder if most basses (like my fenders) would be better off if threaded inserts were used. Especially on the neck, bridge and if you use chrome covers, and body mount pickups for solid lasting (maybe sustaining) integrity.