longhorn Vs hodad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 22, 2001.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    once i tried a Danelectro Longhorn reissue model. it was cheap but great sounding bass. now i'm interested again in these basses. i have seen the hoda model too. it seems more versatile with 3 lipstick pickups and a seven(?) position tone switch. i'd like to know your opinions on these basses and expecially about the body construction and the tonal differences. is the hodad so versatile? has the sound of the longhorn?
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    with hoda i meant hodad. i forgot to ask how is the sound of these basses with flatwound strings
    thanks again
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Finally someone else who appreciates its asthetics!
    I've always liked it.
    Hope you weren't joking...
  4. Im serous it's amizng, so unique, looks nothing like any other bass.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I also love those Longhorns! Somebody said they were about to be discontinued. Hope not. Great little basses. I keep one in a gig bag behind the seat in my pickup truck so it's always there as a backup.

6. are you kidding me? That is the UGLIEST bass I've EVER seen!
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i find its design original, ironic and out of the same standard. i love it!!
  8. Yeah, but you like Blink 182! :p ;) (just kidding)

As a Dano owner, I will tell you that they are not the best built. Mine has had a few problems, like a faulty input jack, but that is fixable. Both their looks and sound are an aquired taste, though. Check 'em out before you buy.
  9. I'm going with JR, I really don't like the look of them (each to his own), never actually heard them though, but just judging by the looks I think it would be good for country. :)
  10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I haven't played a Longhorn, but I like my Hodad. It does have a variety of sounds, but I tend to use it with all three pickups on. The pickups are wired in series, so the output is less if you use one or two pickups. All three sound better to me. I have tapewounds on mine, and it sounds great. The only problem I had was with the balance. I had to install an extension on the upper horn to keep it from nosediving. I hate when that happens....

I like the sound of my Hodad but it is FUGLY!! Longhorns look much cooler, IMO.
  11. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I haven't played a hodad, but I've heard that they're pretty similar to DC's, which i much prefer berofore the Longhorn. When i played the longhorn -quite some time ago - it felt like a toy, and not a real bass, which indeed the DC does. Don't know anything about the hodad, but the DC is not that bad, actually.
  12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Yeah....it does FEEL like a toy....but it sure doesn't sound like one.:)
  13. Purely sound-wise, is there anything a Longhorn can do that a Hodad can't?
  14. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Sound like a short-scale bass, that's about it.

otherwise, the Hodad kicks its butt versatility wise.
    I'd say the Hodad definitely gets more bottom end thump from the longer scale, it's not as twangy sounding as the Longhorn.

I've got a Hodad, a DC, and 2 Longhorns presently and I find the Hodad allows for the most variety and 'normal' bass tones; with all 3 p'ups on you get a really thick powerful tone. The DC falls somewhere in between, and the Longhorn has its own little vibe.