Longscale Strings

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by skguitarsbasses, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Please forgive me if this has been asked previously, but I didn't find what I was looking for while doing a search.

I'm looking for some longer scale strings. The bass I made for a customer is 35" scale, BUT the strings are through the body, so an extra 1 1/2" of length is needed. The bass has a zero fret, so the fatter winding of the strings needs to be long enough to rest on it.
    Any suggestions? Your help is appreciated, as always.

I was thinking MTD's, as he uses that scale and a zero, but his strings are through the bridge, so I'm not certain that there will be enough length.

Thank you
  2. Ken Smith has strings that will do you - I think. He makes an extra long scale set that I've used on a 5'er. I bet he has a 4 in the line somewhere.
  3. thanks for the quick response, hambone. did you order the strings directly from him, or go through a retailer? this is for a 6'er, think I forgot to mention that.
  4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    DR's are also nice and long. I have at least an extra 1 1/2" on the low B past the nut on my 35" Spector.
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
  6. DR Long Necks and Elixir Extra Long, the only ones to fit my 36" Frenz bass. Both have plenty of room beyond that too.