Longshot: Need a Part

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Old Fart, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    This is my first bass, which I own. My daughter's boyfriend, years ago, thought it needed a part removed and lost forever. The part's location can be clearly seen between the pickups. There was a bridge cover/pickup cover there (except that it covered neither a bridge or a pickup. I was a pick player then, and rested the heel of my hand there almost constantly. At any rate, I do not think I will ever see that part again. So as I say, this is a longshot. Does anybody have on of these (unlikely) or can you tell me how to find one? I do not even know what to call this part.

20200809_173126.jpg 20200809_173139.jpg

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
  4. Old Fart--google Gibson eb-3 hand rest.
    You will have to either grind some metal off one side to fit the cutout in your pickguard, or modify the pickguard to make it fit.
    Also, the screw spacing may not match, but at least the old holes should be hidden by the part.

5. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
  6. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    That is going to be a tough part to find . The Thunderbucker Ranch is probably your best bet https://www.thunderbuckerranch.com/hardware-pix for some reason the EB0 hand rest is labeled Thunderbird hand rest the cover you want is the one with the angled sides.

Fab Superlative likes this.
  7. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Same part as in my Epiphone Newport. I am guessing that the part is not as wide as on your bass. 20191227_161518.jpg

Fab Superlative likes this.
  8. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    That's grea that you still have your first bass, I still have my 60's Klira 356 and it means the world to me. I am trying to comprehend that you loaned it to your daughter's boyfriend, you are a better man than me. Those MIJ lawsuit basses can be pretty good often sold under names like Aria, Global, etc. What made you pick a EB3 clone for your first bass? Jim Lea fan by any chance?

9. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I think those strings might be original. Damn.

10. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Just use on with the flatest edge.. and take the pickguard off the put the cover on then the pickguard..

11. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  12. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Update: I am one of those people who believe that when people make decisions and do things, they should be held accountable.

I saw a thread about Japanese basses, including Matsumoku ones, and noticed a photo of a bass similar to my first bass, which was missing a part. It does not cover a pickup, but is a 'ramp' where I placed the heel of my hand (I was exclusively a pick player back then). In the photo, this bass appeared to have the exact ramp which is missing from my bass. As I mentioned in the OP, this was my very first bass. So I sent a note to that TBer so that he could be on the lookout for a spare. Another longshot, or so I thought.

This TBer responded, we chatted, shared measurements, negotiated terms and he sent me the ramp I had never, ever expected to find. Below is a picture of the restored, completed bass. The bass is on a hanger, but only for photographic purposes. This bass will now (tonight) go back into the pitching rotation for the first time in at least 35 years.

Now....I want to point out something here. This guy put my need before his. His bass is now incomplete (though he says he is unsure whether the ramp was original equipment, which we all pretty much know it probably was). I just thought he needed to be called out for his generosity. As it turns out, he is a young fellow with a heavy schedule and increasingly responsible role at work. Hard working. Smart. Nice guy with a bright future. He is known here as Jim Burkland. Thank you Mr. Burkland, Sir.

20201002_150521.jpg

13. It looks amazing!! Thank you for the kind words and the shoutout. You're welcome. It was a pleasure helping return your first bass to normal.

14. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Great story for today!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021