Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

longview HELP

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by lewibassist, Dec 24, 2002.

1. hey all u probibly think im stupid and i know longview is an easy song but after the first chorus the bass line changes a little if u know what i meen i cannot get that to sound the same as on the cd its realy anoyin is it me or are the tabs wrong becasue its realy anoyin has anyone got the right tabs or any tips on how to play this part of the song right if u have i would be greatfull

lewi:( :confused:

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

huh?:confused:

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know what you're talking about dude, I got a guitar I'll try and tab it out for you, that tab is not right at the part you're talking about...

|----9--------9----7-7--6-6--4-4--2-2-|
    |-------0-7-9---9--0-0--0-0--0-0--0-0-|
    |-7-----------------------------------|
    |-------------------------------------|

Hope that works out for you, I'm not good at tabbing, but that's right, I assure you. I heard from my punker friend that Mike Dirnt wrote that bassline on acid, and forgot it, then did acid again and recorded the bassline and figured it out later when he was sober. Odds are it's a totally different bassline.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh and for reference... when I was tabbing out this song, I discovered it's easier to play that bassline on guitar... harder than bass eh? ;)

5. :) thx that tab sound right its the best tab of i have seen all of the others are way off by the way is there any different tunning for this song on the bass :confused:

6. i think this song is played a half step down so:
    Gb <---high
    Db
    Ab
    Eb <---low

a lot of tabs iv seen compensate for this by tabbing it to standard tuning which may explain the difference in the part you are thinking of as it uses open string chords. on a different note i always forgot to learn that part of the song so i couldnt tell you if its right or not, only ever learnt the intro! if you want a song that sounds quite similar but is so much better (in my opinion!) get "Teenage Riot" by The Ataris.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh yeah I forgot, you do tune down half a step (as funkpunker implied). And also as funkpunker said, the reason you tune down instead of playing down a half step is so that the open "d" is actually Db. But yeah, the tab is right, I've played along with the CD several time (tuned down half a step) and everything was hunkey dory.

8. thx u been a great help thx :D

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In the words of Eek the cat, "It never hurts to help."

10. Hey dude, whats up i know that you just wanted some tabs and i was going to give you the one you wanted but everyone got to it first i figure i just pop in anyway to say please use periods in your threads because it is a little annoying to read i'm not trying to be mean but most people aren't used to reading like this remember that periods are good for telling people that they can breath!

Fwew!

Can anybody identify with me, or is my sphincter to tight?

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, it's a n00b thing. You get a little more respect if you at least attempt to use proper grammer/spelling/punctuation. Eventually you learn that on talkbass and you either try a little harder or... well you never come back.