Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lonnie Plaxico is a supporting member?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    That is soooooo cool! He was recently featured in Bass Player Mag. I always think it's great when pros drop in here from time to time, but for Lonnie to step up and say, "Hey, I want to support this website," is really terrific.

I'm no pro, but I guess it's time for me to step up, too. I'll let Lonnie's picture stay there for a while, but you'll see that "supporting member" thingy under my name soon.

2. Apparently he thinks it's cool enough to contribute twice (?). I've seen his picture up there a couple of times - but I'm not complaining. He's a great player and a very positive addition to the board!

BTW - he's pretty damn awesome on Cassandra Wilson's Traveling Miles. "Seven Steps to Heaven" just kills me every time. And Marcus Baylor's drumming is fantastic! Apparently good enough to land him the Yellowjackets gig!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - but shouldn't this really be in the Double Bass part of the board rather than Bass Guitar?

4. I was going to say something also, but I was kinda scared!

Very, very cool ... We should let his pic stay up there a bit longer though ...

Art Blakey? Greatest drummer ever! DANG!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Plaxico!
    ...any of these M-BASE musicians are "OK" with me! ;)

Personally(& this should be obvious by now), I could care less if it's DB or BG...listening to Anatomy Of A Groove or Robin Eubanks' 'solo' stuff(Mental Images or Get 2 It) or "Squib Cakes" from Melange...it's really irrelevant, IMO, whether it's an upright or a 'gadget' bass. It's all happenin'('good')! ;)

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Seen "The Score" yet? Lonnie's there with Cassandra Wilson.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'll leave this here, unless Flatwound would like it shot over to the DB side.

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    No thanks, amigo, I posted it here on purpose. I knew somebody would bring up the DB thing, but I thought it was cool anyway.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    As was already mentioned, he doubles.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah but there are already at least two other threads on this subject on the DB side! I thought somebody might want to combine them all.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'm sure some BG's don't go to the DB side on a regular basis, and vice versa.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No I haven't. BTW, what is "The Score"?
    (I'm no movie buff).
    Do you have the M-Base Collective disc w/ Cassandra, David Gilmore, "Smitty" Smith, Steve Coleman, Reggie Washington, etc?
    If so(or even if not)...whaddaya think about this whole Macro Basic Array of Structured Extemporizations' logic? ;)

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    You really need to be a Mod. ;)

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, it's got me, too.
    Here's a snippet from what Cassandra Wilson's liner note say about M-Base-
    "...the more technical aspects are closely aligned with the music of musicians from the '40s & '50s(Bird, Roach, Monk, Coltrane, etc) but is also influenced by the popular rhythm-based music of our youth('60s & '70s)."

She then goes into some spiritual stuff...heavy, huh?

Brando? DeNiro? Something tells me I should know who those guys are. ;)
    (I'll ask the movie buff @work about "The Score").

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It was kind of formulaic but hey, it had DeNiro and Norton, both pretty fine actors in my book AND Brando in a non-"million dollar cameo" role.

So, this music is a mix of "Cherokee" and "Mr. Big Stuff"?

Sweet.

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I just saw the movie...
    We also see Michel Donato, a great double bass player here in montreal, He played with everybody in quebec and canada.
    The most popular where Oscar Peterson and Alain Caron (bass contre bass album).
    Miles Davis also called him to play with him...

The movie was not great....
    But I really like Deniro and Norton.
    Brando died in godfather I....