Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lonnie plaxico

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Those who know me know I am no computer geek but I ran into an uncomfortable situation here. I saw this LP dude was a new member so I went to check out his stuff. Downloaded an mp3 and before I knew it all sorts of ad type stuff started flying across my screen. I'm x'in and x'n and I can't get rid of it. Finally I just turn off the computer. I am pissed. How do I avoid this and do I rebuke this guy?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I think you just did. :)

I've never heard of this before with an mp3 download, but it sounds annoying. The only way I know of to avoid it is the obvious, but then I'm not a computer geek either. Maybe if we're lucky some kind passing geek will see this thread and set us straight either on the board or via PM.

Which reminds me of a funny story: a couple of years ago, a friend of mine who shall remain nameless calls me in a panic asking, "Do you know anything about computers"? When I tell him no, he starts telling me he is gonna die because he was surfing in some pretty bad neighborhoods when an ad bomb went off and somehow managed to freeze the computer with a large picture of Britney Spears and a Great Dane engaged in certain activities that shall also remain nameless. Apparently, this picture was flat-out STUCK on the screen, and stayed there even when he turned off the computer. And his girlfriend - with whom he was cohabitating at the time, and who owned the computer in question - was gonna be home in 2 hours.

Sadly, the couple in question no longer shares living quarters.

3. Ok this tool should fix the problem.
    You should be running Microsoft Internet Explorer ver 5 or higher. To check this open the browser, goto Help, and then about Internet Explorer.
    It also works with newer versions of Netscape.

It is a pretty clean install, just choose the defaults.
    Any questions, I am here.

PopUp Stopper

4. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Thanks GP. Mr Plaxico mailed me an apology and stated he had not experienced this before. Do you know why this happens?
    I just don't get advertizing--does it ever work? Allit makes me want to do is jot down the company address and go out and purchase an automatic weapon.

5. Hmm, I just went to the page and tried to download the first and second mp3's and didn't get any ads. Ads do work, to an extent. The chance is rare in my eyes. Some of them can be very aggressive, like you experienced. There are a couple of things that can happen depending on your ISP, your browser type, and your media player.
    I.e. if you use Real Player to play MP3's it is possible that Real Player was the one bombing you with the ads. I use the popup stopper because I am constantly searching on Tech data at work. Even Microsoft will bomb you with ads. :rolleyes:

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Gruff,

Thanks for the assist. I'm sure that Lonnie never intended for this sort of thing to happen, and given the caliber of player he is, it would be a shame if people started avoiding his site because of a popup problem. Thanks for helping to fix what we didn't know how to.

7. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Yeah, I've got Real Player. That was probably it. Ya know, advertizing has become so insidious in recent times-from telephone solicitations to those official looking envelopes with the window strategically placed so you can just read 'Pay to the order of". Now I have to worry about it in the computer. Eventually they will just beam it into our brains.

When this happened late last night I had had a rough day[my TB addiction forces me to have to work much harder when I'm not posting]-had a few beers[doesn't help my temper problem] so I was pretty angry. Out of ignorance my first reaction was to blame Lonnie-I even contemplated firing off a nasty mail. Fortunately I realized I had a resource here and now I understand that Lonnie had nothing to do with it. If you are reading this, Lonnie I am sorry if I casted even the slightest dispersion your way. By the way, what I heard of your playing was great and I'm gonna go back and give it a better listen. jeff

8. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    That is the last bass I made. You can't tell too much from the pic but it has a pretty sweet quilt figure on the back and sides. You are almost in my neighborhood-come check it out.

9. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Damn, I forgot to say thanks.
    Thanks!
    jeff

10. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Sorry, only in it for the money,honey.

You may have no money but I'm sure you have some Tristano stories-we could trade those.

BTW, I plunked down my money and got a shiny new icon, but I just didn't feel complete. However, earlier today my name was Fuqua-ized by CF. It feels official now.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Actually, it's not REALLY official until FUQHORN graces your name with a derivation, but he's kind of shy about these things at first - claims it has to be an ORGANIC process and all that...I was just priming the pump, so to speak.