1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Look - An MXR Blowtorch Soundclip!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Jun 3, 2007.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    People were begging for more clips of this thing, so I finally got around to recording a decent one of my own. If you want to read my review of it, check out this thread.

CLICK HERE FOR THE DEMO

Don't use the "Hi-Fi" sample - Soundclick is still screwing up the Hi-Fi versions, so they'll sound slow and detuned. I'm thinking of looking for another site to host my clips, because it's getting on my nerves. Please use either the Lo-Fi clip, or if you want better quality, just download the MP3 instead.

I should also point out that the recording setup I've got sucks. It's just a cable directly into my laptop's soundcard. Nothing fancy... so you might hear background hiss or have to crank up your volume. The pedal itself is actually pretty quiet, even at high gain settings.

I recorded the clip with my EBMM Stingray, D'Addario XL strings (45-65-80-100), standard EADG tuning, and my new board arrangement, but only the Blowtorch is on. The clip was done in fingerstyle, but you can get some cool sounds out of it with a pick, too. I usually roll the Blend back a bit to get more of the clean sound when I use a pick.

The clip has six segments. The settings are the same for each segment, except for the Torch and Mid Shift switches. You will be able to easily hear when it changes, because of the Midrange boost.

BASS: 12:00
    MIDRANGE: 3:00
    TREBLE: 12:00
    BLEND: 3:00
    GAIN: 12:00

RIFF 1: Torch OFF, 750Hz
    RIFF 2: Torch OFF, 250Hz
    RIFF 3: Torch OFF, 2Khz
    RIFF 4: Torch ON, 2Khz
    RIFF 5: Torch ON, 750Hz
    RIFF 6: Torch ON, 250Hz

As you can see, I put the blend up to give you more of the Blowtorch's distortion effect, and I also boosted the Midrange to illustrate how useful the Mid Shift can be. I didn't do any Midrange cuts, but if you do, you can get sounds a bit like the Big Muff (but more modern, less vintage). My Little Big Muff has a smoother (but less stable) fuzz and a tone the Blowtorch can't match, but if you're looking for an alternative to any Big Muff, turn on the Torch switch on this baby!

You can get a wide range of distortion, from mild growly overdrive to modern fuzz, and the cool thing is that I haven't heard any pedals out there that sound like the Blowtorch on higher-gain settings - at least, not one this flexible for the price.

My normal settings aren't featured in this clip, but I like to roll back the treble a bit and boost the bass. I also don't boost the Midrange as much as I did in the clip, and I roll back the gain a bit so I can get a thick overdrive with the Torch switch off, and some smooth distortion with the Torch switch on.

Enjoy, and if you own a Blowtorch, please post links to your samples and demos here for the benefit of the TB community! :bassist:

EDIT: I added another new clip, this time with some different settings, less gain and blend, and a pick.

2. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    hmmm... I don't like it...

3. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    Blow Torch rocks!! i use mine as a light overdrive before my big muff takes over with heavy fuzzMid switch works great to change the nature or the sound. its great coz u can dial in bottom end when theres a lot of fuzz...

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    not the pedal for me, but glad you like it, mr. boo.

5. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    It seems like one of those pedals that I couldn't just 'set and forget'...I'd need 3 of them because I'd really like at least a few different sounds. The high mid-shift stuff is a little too buzzy for me, but I dig the sounds you get in the very beginning.

6. It sounds, good, but I can get every tone except that last one with my NYC Muff (Reissue).

The only thing I like is the fact that it has an EQ. My Muff has a very slight lowend loss, that's apparently only noticeable by me and not my bandmates. So its not to big an issue to solve that problem right now.

Nice clips, good review and nice playing.

7. TaylorW

TaylorW

Feb 9, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    awesome sound clip! I have one of these on the way. How about a tab of what you were playin in the sound clip?

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
  9. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    LOL... those were improvised. I'll have to transcribe it so I don't forget it! :D

10. Thanks for the clips. Sounds amazing and I still want one more now than ever. I'd definitely replace my Big Muff PI and my Digitech BSW in an instant.

11. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Riff 6 sounds like a sound Geezer Butler would put in a Sabbath tune. :bassist:

12. TaylorW

TaylorW

Feb 9, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    sweet and transcribe it so we can play it!

13. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    People seem to dislike the sound of the pedal, but the harshness is in the midrange, and the midrange is really what makes this pedal (or any tone really) shine in a band setting.

14. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    That's alot of tones from one pedal, thanks Boo!:bassist:

15. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    No problem :smug:

I've been experimenting with the controls more to see what else the Blowtorch can do, and I'm still impressed. I'm currently using it with Blend at 12:00 - I really like the clean/dirty mix I'm getting with my amp and the Blowtorch.

I've also been toying with it to see how close I can get to the tones of my Little Big Muff. So far, it has the higher registers covered, with hardly any noise and a greater degree of stability. But overall, the Muff has a signature "vintage" feel and sound that the Blowtorch can't entirely capture. The Blowtorch's high-gain fuzz sounds are distinctively modern, while the Muff has a more "lo-fi" feel.

It's difficult for me to justify having both pedals on my board, but in the end, I might end up keeping my LBM on the board anyway.

Either that, or I might have another special use for it on a separate pedalboard I might be working on soon...

16. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    I know EXACTLY how you feel about the LBM stayin' on the board. But why don't you do what I did:

Image004-ps.gif

:D

17. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I've got four sources of distortion right now - the LBM, the Blowtorch, the Bass Micro Synthesizer, and my amp's overdrive channel (via footswitch). And it's five if you count that side switch on the Blowtorch for the "Torch" mode.

...maybe you're right, and the real problem is that I need more distortion... :D

18. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Cheers Boo,

Yeah we don't need 3 phasers, choruses, or octavers. It's highly likely that we need more than one or two distortions if we use em at all! :bassist:

19. j.weaver

j.weaver

Jun 12, 2007
    Topeka, Kansas
    Hey Mystic,

I can't get any of the clips to work. Can you send me new links, or send the clips to me in an email?

Thanks you in advance for your reply!

Jason

20. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I got rid of that clip a long while back :p

The new ones work fine. You'll find them here:

www.soundclick.com/mysticboo

I also posted them in a recent thread dedicated just to my new soundclips.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021