Look at the numbers...which would you buy ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chiplexic, May 12, 2004.

1. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Avatar B115 27"H x 25W x 16.5d 50hz tuned 600watt RMS Eminence spl 99ish
    $281 w/shipping

Peavey 115BVX 27.5"h x 22.5"w x 20"d 30hz 3.5khz, spl 98.9 400watt RMS Black Widow #1502 $299. w/shipping

Peavey down to 30hz !!! great lows

Avatars 50 hz tuning concern anyone ? not even an E string HZ. What can I expect this tuning to result in sound wise ?
  2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Peavey! No doubt!

Peavey gets a bad rap, but for the money and what they offer I think they are very good. Heck, I'd choose a Peavey over some of the more popular Corp. brand's that are thought to be better......

It all depends on whats important to the player and also what they hear in their head as to whats best for you.
  3. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    A frequency response spec without specifying the +/- dB param and the test conditions is totally useless information. You can make any cab look better than the competition by using looser specs or different test technics, and then conveniently fail to include them in your product data sheet.

However, all is not lost. If you've been around for a while, you'll pick up the patterns. Peavey is quoting the lowest usable freqs, and that is usually at the -10dB point. Avatar is quoting the box tuning freq., which doesn't tell you anything about the freq. resp. of the system at all. So you can't compare those things.

They're both 1x15's, and the PV has a slightly bigger box and probably a lower tuning (40Hz), so it will probably go lower. But there is still a lot more that we don't know about the driver specs and the box alignment, so we can't make generalizations beyond the size of the box.

If I were going to buy one sight unseen (and unheard), I'd go with the PV.

4. :spit: Phooey on Peavey. I have always been dissapointed with everything that wore the name PEAVEY.

Look also at the construction materials. Avatar uses 3/4" plywood, does Peavey?
    Also the eminence Kappa Pro LF is a better speaker than a "black widow." IMHO

I would go with the Avatar.
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
  6. I own the Avatar B115 and from what I understand the drop-off is -3db at 50hz. What I can say for sure is there is no drop-off in sound on the E string of my 4 banger.

BTW I also have a B212 and I think it has better definition on the lows even though the specs are the same. That proved to me that specs are a bunch of hooey!
  7. Just a quick question about PV cabs and all cabs. What exactly does RMS Countinous and Program mean?
  8. I dont understand what you're trying to say, what would putting 400 watts into those cabs prove or do?
  9. The bottom line is that many companies measure differently, so you can't really compare the numbers easily.

For example, some companies might only measure the power handling capabilities of their cabinet at 1Khz. That's a meaningless measurement, especially when compared to another cabinet that was tested across the entire frequency spectrum (20Hz-20Khz). The same would hold true for an amplifier's power measurement. THis is a basic example.

Unless you have ALL the information you can't easily compare. Even then it will likely be difficult.
  10. I was planning on gettin a B410 a B115 with a Gk 1001RB-II, but now i see that they cant handle 400 watts, or a low E I guess its back to the drawing board. :(
  11. If you get this rig, believe me, it'll handle a low E, and can handle 400 watts.
    Great rig!! ;)
    I would get both cabs rated 8 ohms, so that together the amp will see 4 ohms.