Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look at this Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan morris, Apr 25, 2002.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I am looking for a Carvin fretless and I came across this one. I decided I would love the look a whole lot better if I cut some of the horn. The result is the bass on the right hand side. What do you think? Would it be that hard to chop some wood off (I have some previous wood working experience)?
    [​IMG]
    Edit: I just used "Paint" to chop off the horn, but it looks pretty real.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm with you on this one Ryan... The right hand one looks way better IMO... You'd have to be careful slapping a neck-thru on the ol' bandsaw though!

-robert

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to have a LB75 five string in Koa. your modified bass looks good. I always thought that upper horn was too long.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I think it does look better that way- but-
    Try the bass on a strap first! If it balances well in its original form, and then you shorten the horn, it will then neck dive to some extent (depending how much shorter you make it) because you moved the balance point.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    There's nothing you can do. Carvins are hideous '80s styled guitars & basses. Your mod does look less hideous than the "average" Carvin. At least it's not a Wishnevsky.

That's my opinion only of course others love Carvin styling.

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I like your version of the bass better, too, but I would seriously consider what Pilotjones said about balance. I absolutely HATE playing a badly-balanced, neck-diving bass, and I've modified a few to make them balance better. I found that if the strap button on the upper horn is close to the 12th fret, it usually balances fine. You will be moving the strap button back, plus you will be cutting away a little weight, which would make it more likely to neck-dive. It might not bother you to have it a little neck-heavy, and if that is the case, go for it. It definitely looks better.

7. You can adjust for this by moving the butt-end strap button further up the upper bout.

8. I don't think so--if that was all it took, the Thumb would be balanced!

Mike

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why do a job half way?

[​IMG]

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, then how 'bout this?
    [​IMG]

11. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry but i like it better with the long horn!!!

12. Well, that's because the Thumb is just neck-heavy, and the bottom strap button is way down the body. I remember Mimi from BunnyBass mentioning that if you move the bottom button on a Thumb all the way up to the top of the upper bout, then put it on the back right next to that, it will actually balance.

One trick I've seen people do with small-bodied Alembics is hanging the whole bass off of the neck strap button. Better get a good straplock system with that, I say.

13. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Balance is an issue with me but I don't think that it would be that much of a difference. As long as it can be 90 degrees to me I'm cool. BTW I used to own a thumb nt 5 and relocated the button: it helped a little.

Munjibunga: you're just crazy man (but the second one could grow on me a 'bit(did I just say that?)). You're crazy

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    This one's for you, PICK.

[​IMG]

15. ryan,
    I like the original long upper horn and the modified shorter lower horn. that (to me) looks good.

16. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Nagh thats a bit tooooo crazy for me!! I dont mind the standard carvin upper horn but that is just too much!!! Thanks anyway Munji!!!!

17. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    you are all horrible horrible people:eek:

ive seen a carvin LB76 where someone shortened teh lower horn... it was a terrible way to ruin a beautiful bass. please, dont do it. It can never be undone, will reduce the already low resale value of the carvin, probably mess up the balance, and look just plain bad!

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I dunno ... that one I did with both horns shortened looks kinda cool ... kinda Alembickish.

19. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Munjibunga:That's what I was thinking too. Like Alembic Series 1 or 2 but mutated a bit.
    SRSiegel:Hey, I haven't even bought the bass yet, just kind of wondering out loud.

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I dig it, too. But, I don't know how it would look with the Carvin headstock, though.