Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look At this everyone!!! SURPRISE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MasqueOfFilth, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

If only I had an extra $1300 laying around... Oh well, I'm happy with what I have...

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    the 400 is freaking loud.

I cannot imagine the volume of that thing...

3. Probably not much louder, but can you say Headroom?!!!

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Are we going to see a price reduction in the GBE400 and GBE600 heads with the release of this one?

If I ever need a high-powered head, I'm buying that Genz Benz! I'd bet it gives an old Ampeg SVT a run for its money.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    My first couple of paychecks from my new job are going towards this. I really can't wait. My GBE 600 Is louder than poo. It'll take a step down to practice/backup once I get it.

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    To the tech-minded folks...

What do you think they mean by "optimizing" the power supply for 2ohm loads. IOW, why put a impedance selector switch on a SS power section?

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is a beautiful amp!

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

wow , 42 lbs. of pure joy !!
    1000 w. @ 4 ohms .

i'd like to check it out ...

9. PabloDominguez

PabloDominguez

Mar 1, 2005
    Well you know I think its good just for the Power it has but if you check the versatility of it i dont think is that great. when you look at it you think oh thats similar to a parametric eq but it really isnt it has 2 separete channels so dont be fulled with the knobs i think its a great amp if you dont like to play around with it. i still like an MPULSE 360-600 for the price. they are pretty similar and hey 1000/600W isnt that much plus on big gigs you always get Microphoned with a PA.

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    Most amps deliver their full power at a specific load i.e. 2 ohms. They will run at 4 ohms but won't deliver full power.

With this amp, you can deliver the full power into 4 ohms if you wish. Or, set it for full power at 2 ohms.

11. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    For versatility we opted for a signal shaping section. We prefer to keep the main EQ sections as straight ahead vs. parametric. To my ears, the band widths are always too narrow and the vast majority of bassists we speak with prefer more straight ahead designs. It's just our philosophy, not right or wrong but we believe the tone should be in your amp, bass and fingers. Parametrics seem too much like chasing a tone that isn't inherent in the rig.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    1200 watts at 4 ohms if that is what you want to deliver via the selector switch.

13. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    BUT we've heard mixed reviews regarding the tone section of the Sunn 1200. For some people it doesn't do the job.

Sometimes new doesn't necessarily mean retread.

14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

The Kustom 1200 tone was for me. Others prefer GK, SWR and yes, Sunn, etc... Opinions, just like a$$holes, everybody has one! :smug:

15. PabloDominguez

PabloDominguez

Mar 1, 2005
    Well like I said i Think the MPULSE 600 is more versatile for the price and man believe me the Mpulse doesnt have to have the parametric eq on to sound nice its a very solid and very tube like sound. and they are around the same price so dont be like that and tell me all the bassists opinions and bass treble and mids arent "effects" that change your sound and most amps already have a a preset eq(ed) so it doesnt sound that flat all the time it also depends a lot on your cabinets for exmple if you have a 1x15 youll hear a lot of "bass" because the speaker isnt that fast because of its size. the 4x10 would be very fast so you'll sound very clean and with less "bass"

so its all about choice here i mean why dont use your parametric eq if you have it??? i use 2x 4x10 and i add bass so its sounds rich but at the same time i can play fast and will sound very clear .
    my point is that it doesnt matter if you dont use the parametric eq but its really nice to have it.

then if you like the "natural sound of your fingers, amp and bass" why dont you get a passive bass with just a volume or why do the bassist here get 3-4 way preamps on their basses?? just think about that before trashing my posts

16. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    I don't think he was thrashing your post, just...

17. PabloDominguez

PabloDominguez

Mar 1, 2005
    Well its obviously not everyones philosophy thats what im talking about when i said he trashed my post. im giving an opinion here ok. he cant just suppose everyone thinks like him

18. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    True, although I respect your opinion, he did put that it wasn't right or wrong, just thier companys philosophy

19. PabloDominguez

PabloDominguez

Mar 1, 2005
    I know he did and i dont think its right to "suppose" that its everyones Philosophy because that is what he said. thats all i didnt like because when you say that the it shuts all the eq and versatility opinion then Why dont you get a PowerAmp and 2 speakers and play if Natural sound is what you want.