look at this wrench.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  2. thank you
  3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have longer.

I have to laugh at Kia though, and Volkswagon, for bringing down the European average.
  4. i have a wrench like that...i won it at a carnaval...
  5. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I bet my Jeep alone bumped that number up about 50. :meh: (I'm about to give my mechanic $1600 in a few hours...)
  6. That's great. It's all information I had a decent grip on, but it really makes it nice to look at. It also dispells a few myths about who makes a "better" car (depending on your definition of "better"). For those of you who never knew where certain brands fell on the "reliability wrench", enjoy.

7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Whoa, cool! I have been contemplating buying a used Porsche Boxster S somewhere down the line. Could it actually be more dependable than my... gasp... Toyota? Sweet!
  8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Awesome! I drive a Buick, and that wrench is pretty accurate. It's a '95 with 207 THOUSAND miles on it, and it's still running strong :-D
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Personally Buick being where it is was about the only surprise to me there.

Keep in mind that those are general figures. Mitsubishi generally has a rep for poor reliability but somehow they often seem to have one model that will make it on the most reliable list. Then on the other hand there's Volkswagen...every single model of Volkswagen is on the LEAST reliable list. That pretty much nixed my wife's hopes of getting a Passat.

brad cook
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    D'oh! I got lucky with my VW, and bought a German-made one without even knowing it. Later found out its country of origin when my buddy looked at the VIN. The Mexican and Brazilian made ones are supposedly less reliable. The longer I stay around VWs, however, the more I realize that my next car will be Japanese. :D

PS: For those who are curious, the 2.0 naturally aspirated four-banger that VW makes is a tank. Those things run great and will go for a long, long time. The VR6 and the 1.8T are the engines to be careful of. Or so I've been told.
  11. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I like my 1.8t, best bang for your buck when doing "upgrades" to give it a little more ooomph. Just my experience...
  12. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I am really surprised Volkswagon got such a low number of problems.
  13. The buick doesn't surprise me. Most of their products are/were powered by the 3.8 liter V6, an engine that has been around since the 70's. This is more than enough time to work out the kinks. Couple that with the average age of a Buick owner and their driving habits, and you have a vehicle with a decent powertrain that is never driven hard. Result? Good reliabiliy reports. I'd imagine age of owner plays a part in the Lincoln and Caddy numbers, as well.

Porche was, honestly, a bit of a surprise to me. I just figured those vehicles were driven into the ground by most owners in the first year or so (not a knock on Porche, just most sports cars are abused and the reliabilty reports show it).

14. Another curiosity is the disparity between Infiniti and Nissan.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You do have to take it with a grain of salt I guess, but still

everything and anything > Kia HAH!
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You were expecting them to do even worse?
  17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I was.
  18. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I'm honestly surprised anything is worse than them, except maybe Kia.
  19. How come Bentley isn't on there? :D

Is it that they don't break down, or just that their owners don't blink at repair costs? ;)