Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look at what I missed out on...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silentstranger, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Clickity MTD Beast 5, demo model. I was gonna swing over to the store today and try it out, but I (luckily) called them beforehand and found out that they had no idea where the bass was! Their Ebay guy wasn't in today and nobody knew where he stashed it, so obviously there was no point in driving 60 miles to try it out. I bid on it based on reputation alone, but having never played a Beast before (and only one other MTD ever), I wasn't willing to go very high and didn't win.

So the point of this post (besides bitching of course) is to ask, should I regret not buying this? How much is that bass worth? I dislike the all-black motif, but I've been looking for a cheap but quality 5-string, and the color and scratches wouldn't have mattered in the least if the price is right. Ease my troubled soul (or trouble it further, whichever you prefer) :meh:

2. Lozenger

Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    what do you mean scratches this bass is new and i think thats a pretty reasonable price for it... unlucky mate

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    man.. I would have bought that bass as soon as I had seen it.. I think you missed out.. the MTD beasts are great basses... I was watching BET the other day and I think it was Brian Mcknight's bassist playing on one and man it sounded Killer

4. These scratches:
    [​IMG]

Did you read the auction? The seller made a big deal about it: "To compensate for the scratches I will start at a low bidding price with no reserve" etc etc. Those didn't bother me, but it made it hard for me to judge how much it would be worth; having never played it, I wouldn't want to end up losing a bunch of money if I had to resell. Public opinion seems to be that they're great basses, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll like it for ME. Stupid store, temporarily losing the bass so I couldn't play it :spit: Maybe I should've fought harder for it, but oh well.

How similar are the Beasts in sound/feel to the Kingstons? I've played one Kingston and liked it a lot, but it was already spoken for at the time.