1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Look! Epoxy Stingray 40th

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MD Stingray, May 11, 2017.

1. IMG_2582.JPG

I have an issue with the volume pot on my 40th anniversary and look what I ran in to... epoxy! Just like the '76 original.
    Did not know that. Cool.

Makes me wonder though what to do when the electronics need work.

Anyway, awesome bass. You need one.

Booty Shaman, gregmon79, Treb and 3 others like this.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd actually put that in the "very uncool" department. It's done fairly often in the effects world and it's called "gooping." It's generally done to hide a certain circuit design to make it much harder for other people to copy. It's also done when you've copied someone else's circuit and you want to obscure that fact. As you've theorized, it makes it much harder to adjust/repair an item's electronics.

3. Drifter_Bass

Drifter_Bass

Apr 5, 2017
    They "Klon'd" your electronics!

Axstar and MD Stingray like this.
  4. Hmm.. you have a point.

I don't think it has been done since 76-77, so either they replicated the original, or Ball are protective.

Maybe both.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    What issue are you having? I really love these basses the necks are jaw dropping.

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My 1978 StingRay still has its epoxy preamp, so nearly 40 years later and counting.
    What are you worried about....

Spidey2112 and seang15 like this.
  7. When I turn down the volume it makes 1) noise, 2) goes gradually softer untill it's almost full off and it actually goes to full on again.

Very odd

SirMjac28 likes this.
  8. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    So was there any real reason this was done? As an insulator for noise? To make the electronics less prone to breakage?

I'm just curious of what the actual reason is/was. It's a few extra steps and materials during production, so there has to be an actual reason.

MD Stingray likes this.
  9. I don't know, could all be true, or not.
    I thought it was cool as the Pre-Ernie epoxy Rays have somewhat of a special status in the vintage world.

But now I run into electronics issues..

CooWoo and SirMjac28 like this.
  10. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    So clean out the volume pot with electrical contact cleaner.

11. I don't know... On a brand new 2,500 euro bass? You're sure I can't do any harm?

Just asking.

12. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    return if it you prefer, but if the volume pot isn't working, cleaning it won't make it even more not working. Unless it does, in which case you were going to have to replace the pot anyway.

electrical contact cleaner can damage the finish so don't just spray it all over everything.

MD Stingray likes this.
  13. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That's what electrical contact cleaner is for. I use Deoxit.

14. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Cleaners usually help with scratchy and/or noisy pots and switches. But not drop-outs or full-on issues.

The full-on symptom tells me the pot is damaged and needs to be replaced. As wonderful as Deoxit is (and I've gone through several hundred cans of Deoxit while refurbishing analog mixing consoles), it won't repair a damaged pot. It won't hurt anything to try, if you have some Deoxit on hand, or want to buy some anyway. I just doubt it will help. It's hard to believe that a new bad pot got past quality control inspection, but apparently, it happened.

As for the epoxied assembly, I ordered a replacement preamp for a 79 Stingray (returning the original preamp, of course) and apparently, this bass was very close to the transition period from epoxied assembly to non-epoxied. Mine was non-epoxied. As for servicing that preamp board, please....for $55 and returning the old board, there's no way it could be cost-effective to attempt a repair to the old board.

CooWoo, seang15, andruca and 2 others like this.
  15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would return it because those basses are too expensive.

Waltsdog, CooWoo and Roberto Nunez like this.
  16. squish

squish

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    Did you try changing the battery?

17. 1. See post #2.
    2. See post #16
    3. Replacing or cleaning a pot has nothing to do with an epoxied preamp(unless the wires need replacing at the preamp).

18. Canadian APII

Canadian APII Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    I was trained to fault find a circuit according to specific parameters and symptoms, then using a dremel tool and a picture of the circuit board grind the suspect component away. Care is needed to not touch the board then desolder and remove the remaining nubs. Solder in a new component, test it is good then recoat with epoxy. Eazy Peazy.

19. Canadian APII

Canadian APII Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    It was done primarily to protect the circuit from damage or moisture.

CooWoo, JGbassman and MD Stingray like this.
  20. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Brand new bass - either return it for a working one or use the warranty that was included with the price.

There is zero reason for you to be in there unless you wanted to void your warranty. For your sake, you better hope that the shop you are returning it to hasn't seen this thread and your images.