Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look for pocket bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman519, Jun 22, 2003.

1. bassman519

bassman519

Jun 22, 2003
    Vermont
    I'm looking for a good quality pocket amp for practicing bass. It needs to have a headphone jack and I'm looking to keep the price down. Does anyone know of any good pocket amps for bass guitars? Let me know the company and model.

-Bassman519

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

...for bass by CTech. @ Guitar Center for $49.99. I just bought one to replace one I bought about 6 years ago! The company was CB Labs back then.

Pocket Rock-It

3. Maybe a secondhand Korg PXB3? Probably does a bit more than you want, but I love mine and they can be had pretty cheaply...

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I purchased a Tascam GT-1 a few weeks ago after my Ibanez RP302 gave out (tape deck with Bass input).
    It is a CD Player with a guitar input. It has a number of guitar effects (half of which have distortion) and it works fine for practicing Bass.
    The effects are not really high quality but individual parameters can be set (I bypass the effects when practicing as I just need to hear myself and the sorce material I am trying to learn).

The CD player is what interested me. The pitch of a song can be lowered or raised without affecting the speed of the song. Very helpful for learning songs that are tuned down a half step (or other tunings).
    A song can be slowed down without changing the pitch. This is helpful for learning those fast intricate licks.
    A portion of a song can be "looped". This allows one to go over that difficult portion of a song over and over until one has it down. I typically loop a portion of a song and slow it down when trying to learn difficult passages. I will then increase the speed incrementally until I can play it at the original speed.
    It also has a built in tuner.

Tascam GT-1 Variable Speed CD Player with Guitar Input:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...019500089/g=home/search/detail/base_id/101567
    It is a little pricey but if you have to learn a number of covers in a short amount of time, it helps. It is a very good tool for transcribing songs. Just don't let your guitarist borrow it - you may never get it back.