Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

look inside at the schematic of this effect please!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steve-o, Jul 1, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how hard does this look to do for my first effect?
    and where are the knobs and switches on this?
    sorry it has been years since i have even looked at these. so if you can help me once. i will have it forever.
    and does anyone have this effect?
    thanks

steve[​IMG]

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well yes in fact i DO have a an effect shaped like a little box with an x in it...o wait,,,,no i dont. link the pic or get a good server.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    here you go
    thanks

steve

4. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    You sure you want to build an Octavia as a first effect for bass? I've never even tried a bass through one (or a clone), but in general these sort of circuits work best when playing high up on a (guitar) fretboard with the tone rolled off a little.

Anyway, if this is your first DIY effort it might be a little difficult, but if you choose to proceed there are only two controls - Volume and Intensity (as labelled on the schematic). If you hunt around a little at diystompboxes.com you should be able to find a diagram of the footswitch wiring needed for bypass (not shown on the schematic).

Maybe a simple fuzz or something would be better (and more useful) for a first time effort? Let us know how the Octavia works on bass if you go ahead with it. I can give you some more suggestions if you want - I've done a fair bit of DIY pedals myself.

MikeB

5. heheh.. you can always see when an american drew the schematic..

how can you tell ? the - of the battery is switched instead of the + :)

and the resistor symbols are different from european symbols :)

but i doubt it will sound good with bass.. the output is too high for those transistors.. will lose lows bigtime.

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Don't even think about trying this as a first project!
    It will (believe me) sound like a fart in a cornflake packet with Bass.
    Try something easy as a first project.
    An Electro Harmonix LPB1 for instance - A clean power boost that does sound good with bass.

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Here's the Schems:

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well this isn't my first time with electronics.
    and i also play guitar.

steve

9. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I guess maybe I wasn't sure what your level of experience was after you asked where the controls were on the schematic. If you play guitar that is even better, as almost any effect is sure to work fine for guitar OR bass, just maybe not both of them.

From my own experience, I know that no matter what level of ability you have with anything it is far more fun to try stuff slightly harder each time and succeed, rather than something that is very difficult and fail. If you have some previous experience, then the Octavia would be fine, especially if you can get your hands on a nice, clean PCB layout. I've built devices more complicated than that on perfboard, but still much prefer PCBs.

MikeB

10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Ok Then,
    The "Knobs" are those marked "Intensity" and "Volume" on the schematic.
    What it does'nt show is any form of switching (Power or Bypass), or indeed any Jacks.
    The attachment here will help with the bypass switching.
    I suggest you use a "Stereo" input Jack to switch the power (i.e. when you "plug in" the effect switches on)

11. My tip: Find a very simple effect chematic... It dosen´t have to be extreamly useful for you... and it dosent have to sound very good... But by building it you´ll learn a lot of things that will come in handy when you start building more advanced chematics...

I´ve conected to tele plugs to a practice circuitboard... it makes me able to first build the effect on the practiceboard and make it work propebly before i start making it for real.. I´m right now working on a 60´s distortion/overdrive pedal for the guitarr player in my band. And this is the first time i´ve succeded in making something really good and useful... So it takes a bit of time to get the hang out of everything.

I´ve atatched a picture of the circuitboard so you can see how it looks (my first projekt ever is conected on the board) The teleplugs is recomended to be placed on a L-shaped piece of metal.

// McBraid
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

12. This is my first visit to this forum, so I don't know if these links have been posted here or not. At any rate, to anyone interested in building their own effects, I highly recommend checking out these sites before you buy any components or think about picking up a soldering iron.

http://www.geofex.com/

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/

http://www.tonepad.com/default.asp

For a first project for bass, I agree with a previous poster. . . some sort of fuzz. A Fuzzface, for example is simple, easy to build and great sounding. But, for bass, change the input capacitor to a 1.0uF or even 2.2uF to keep it sounding fat.

- Charlie

13. This is my first visit to this forum, so I don't know if these links have been posted here or not. At any rate, to anyone interested in building their own effects, I highly recommend checking out these sites before you buy any components or think about picking up a soldering iron.

http://www.geofex.com/

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/

http://www.tonepad.com/default.asp

For a first project for bass, I agree with a previous poster. . . some sort of fuzz. A Fuzzface, for example is simple, easy to build and great sounding. But, for bass, change the input capacitor to a 1.0uF or even 2.2uF to keep it sounding fat.

- Charlie