Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look out, NYC, Munji's coming.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's right, I'm headed to Manhattan this week. I haven't been there in something like 8 or 10 years, so it should be interesting for a slow-moving SoCal boy. I'm going to try to get over to Roger Sadowsky's shop on Thursday. My wife's going, but she's going to meet up with a bunch of her old buddies in the apparel business that she knew when she was a VP at Price Club. So I'm kinda solo.

I'm attending an engineering conference at some hotel right on Central Park. I want to get down to see the hole. We had a talk last year by the original geotechnical engineer who did the foundation design for the towers. They had some really gnarly problems getting the hole cleaned out without the walls collapsing. The original tiebacks were severed after construction was complete, so the only thing holding up the walls was the debris they were trying to remove. Hairy.

How's the weather? I know it's supposed to rain this week. Is this heavy storms or just regular rain? Let's see ... it's been in the 70's here, so it'll probably be in the 60's, right? Brrrr ... that's cold.

OK, if I round up a little spare time, what music stores shouldn't I miss? Give me an intersection, if you can. I haven't decided whether I'll get a car. I hear there's no place to park, anyway.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Besides Sadowsky on Jay st In Brooklyn you can go to 48st off Broadway for the Sam ash, Rudy's, Manny's stores. There's 50st Boutique Guitars ( small shop but don't miss this one) on 50th st and 9th ave. There is also 30th st guitars on 30th between 7th and 8th ave (another must see)

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, if you're staying in manhattan don't bother with the car.

Take the subway to Sadowsky, it's really easy to get there.

As pyrohr said, Bass Boutique (http://bassboutique.com) and 30th Street Guitars for sure. You should at least go to 48th St, Rudy's has the best selection of basses there but they're expensive. Sam Ash and Manny's are right opposite one another, Manny's is the more pleasant shopping experience of the two

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to be at the Essex House ... I think it's some kind of dive motel up on Central Park South. The good news is that it's only 10 blocks away from all the music stores. I think I can get down to Brooklyn to see Roger's shop, too ... it's only about 6 miles, so it's an easy walk. Vinnie and Joey's shop is only a couple more miles, so I should be able to walk over there pretty easily, too. Any more ideas?

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Don't you mean Groom Lake boy?

6. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    The music shops in town are OK...very pricey.

If you can, check out some live music. Stop at a newstand and pick up Time Out magazine and the Village Voice for listings.

Weather here is cool and rainy thru Wed (40s-50s), looks good after that (60s and sunny).

..and I agree...no car.

Enjoy

BTB

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Munji, gimme a shout at the shop if you are planning on paying a visit to the Fodera shop. They don't do "walk ins", you need to let them know and get an appointment. I'll be happy to get you hooked up.

Do it, it's worth it.

Seriously.

Very cool guys, amazing basses, very interesting shop...and you never know who else might be hangin' out there that day...

Another cool trip I did while I was there was the Aguilar shop on Broadway...

:)

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    A Munji, Essex House is a real dive! I mean walk by, see who's lookin, then dive in! if you want a room when you get in it will cost like $250 to $400 a night! Hey cheapskate why don't you try the waldorf over on lexington ave?
    :)

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hey Gard ~ If I go to Fodera, it'll be on Thursday. Is that too short of a notice?

pyrohr ~ I don't know how much it costs ... my assistant just took care of it. Sooaaahhhh, you're not going to comment about me walking from Central Park to Jay Street?

10. Actually, there are three great parking spots in NYC. They are reserved for Dave Letterman, Paul Shafer, and Will Lee.

11. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The Essex is no dive..... awesome views of the park. :)essex hotel

Here are some spots:

Dan's Chelsea Guitars Small shop, but cool stuff.

Matt Umanov Guitars
    Nice selection, but a bit pricey.

There is a guitar center on 14th St in Union Square.

Rudy's Music
    Nice bass dept, but again, a bit pricey.

The only problem is that the prices tend to be higher than the rest of the country, but you will get to try alot of different guitars.

Fodera is worth the trip. Good guys and very helpful and friendly.

Enjoy your trip!
    ~Dave

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, good. Thanks for the links, too.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Munji -

No, Thrusday won't be too "last minute", but I'd need an idea of what time so I can call and set an appointment. Gimme a shout at the shop or PM me, and I'll hook ya up!

15. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles