Look @ the headstock on this Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've seen about 2 of them like that, but only within the last month or so.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i hope its actually a sad. there's been one fake sadowsky ive seen on ebay before.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd go with Narud. Might be a fake. Doesn't look Sadowsky to me (not for any reason, just a vibe I'm getting)
  5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm not sure it's a real one either. I would ask roger about that one.
  6. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Looks real to me. Check the serial number (193), stamped on the back of the headstock. Same place they're stamped now, and considering serial #'s are in 3700s now, #193 sounds about right for the mid-'80s. And there's no real point in trying to sell a fake one; I mean, it's easy enough to check.

As for the shape of the headstock, I'd be willing to bet he started building them that way before Fender started cracking down on copyright infringement (or before they copyrighted the design).

I'd still check with Roger to make sure before I bought it. Then I'd spend a little extra to have him overhaul/redress it. After all was said and done it wouldn't be that much cheaper than a new one, but it's well broken in, and there probably aren't more than a few hundred with that "unusual" headstock.

If it's for real, I bet this guy will regret selling it.
  7. Roger's older headstocks had a smaller logo just like the one above.
  8. I agree. Better safe than sorry I always say.:D
  9. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    I looked at the pictures on the auction, and to me it doesn't look like a Fender. The body appears to be a "downsized" jazz shape. The horn on the treble side is pointy, not rounded like on a regular Fender. The fret board is a 21 fret overhung, unlike Fender. The bridge is a Schaller, which Sadowsky used or still uses. The pickups are EMGs.

IF it's a fake it might be a Warmoth, but let's go with innocent until proven guilty, OK?

I don't know about Sadowsky history, but as the other guy said, this could be the headstock shape of the early Sadowskys.
  10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    there might not be much of a point of putting a fake sadowsky on ebay but it happens. ask funkycarnivore. he popped the buy it now on one a while back that after contacting roger turned out to be fake.

im not saying that this isnt one, but for that money even if it is i would wait for a more recent one to turn up used.

there was a sad on a ebay a while back that had a very early serial number that still had the headstock that is used now. but, considering roger is a contributing member, any speculation probably wont last much longer
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The best vibe I'm geting says "Fernandes".
  12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I sent an E-mail to Roger, this is the answer he gave me:

#193 preceeds my keeping accurate log records. It was probably made around
    1985. If I knew the owner's name, I might be able to find him in my mailing
    list but I searched for a serial #193 and nothing came up.

The serial number, headstock decal and tuners look correct for what I was
    using at the time. I cannot explain the hybrid headstock shape. I built
    instruments at this era with both the Sadowsky and Fender headstocks. This
    one seems to be a hybrid of the two.

The other photos are too small for me to see any real detail.
    I can't even determine if this bass has a preamp.
    My guess is that this was a bass I assembled from parts.

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Is it just me or does the E string look loose?
    Not that that makes a difference, mind you, but I tend to notice totally insignificant things like that.....