1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Look to McCartney-ish my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lap3996, Aug 5, 2012.

1. lap3996

lap3996

Jun 12, 2012
  2. Eat_Sleep_Bass

Eat_Sleep_Bass

May 9, 2012
    Macca sanded down the horns on his ric to make them rounder. He also replaced the piece of metal around his bridge pickup with the smaller one you'd find on 4003 models. He also sanded down the top of his to give it a more ergonomic feel. Hope this helped!

3. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    The link isn't working for me.

Paul added a 0-fret, changed the horseshoe pickup (not sure about that, but he did changed the metal piece) and sanded the horns to make them look "round".
    76F15.

4. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
  5. Did he do these mods himself?

6. miller_l

miller_l

Jun 30, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Mccartney didnt sand down the horns with the intentions of making them round. In the mid 60s he had the bass painted with psychedelic paint but later on with Wings he wanted it removed, so the paint was sanded off thus giving the horns their rounded edges.

7. Macca sanded the horns and body down to lose some weight from the bass, as he had / has
    back problems, which is why he only uses his Rics in the studio now.

8. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Yes, he sanded it to remove the paint, but the horns were sanded because of the shape.
    And he didn't removed the paint during Wings. Before the 'Get Back sessions' (later released as the 'Let It Be' album) he had it done.
    And you can see in this pic, taken in 1970, that the horns still had the original shape. The only mod he had done until then was that the paint sanded off.
    paul_4001_70.

9. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    No, he asked a luthier to do it.

10. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    If I remember what I've read correctly, he sent the bass back to rickenbacker to fix the pickup. While there, they cleaned up his sanding job, cleared the body to protect things, and added the zero fret to address intonation issues.

11. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I'm just impressed that there's a picture out there of him playing bass without using a pick. :eek:

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I build and modify basses
    In the 70s the horseshoe pickup degaussed and Rickenbacker put in a overwound high gain pickup. Probably quite similar to the current 4003 high gains. That is what he used during the Wings era. Tehn about 10 - 15 years ago Rickenbacker put a working horseshoe or re-issue horseshoe pickup in the bass.

13. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Here's a 4003s5 I used to own. When I bought it a previous owner had it stripped and an oil finish put on. The hard finish was left on the fretboard. I felt the oil finish was too thin to protect the bass so I saned it down and rounded the edges a little more. Then I gave it several coats of tung oil with mineral spirits. I also stained the headwings walnut.

So it was a c64ish 4003s5.

The oil finish brought out a nice woody tone on that bass. The more rounded edges made it a joy to play.

4003s5-21.

4003s5-15.

14. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Yes, that's it. Thank you for the information.

But the paint job and [pickup replacement + 0 fret] were not done at the same time.

15. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Ric5, did you ever saw a pic of Paul using a 5-string Rickenbacker?

16. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    no

Here's one of him playing a 5 string wall ...

Paul+and+Wal.

17. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
  18. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

19. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I heard a story that he had a 4003s5 ... I wasn't sure if it was true ...

Now I know the truth ... thanks ...