Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look what a keyboardist gave me...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lbanks, Feb 22, 2004.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    [​IMG]
    Will need new tubes and new pots; a cheap entry into the tube world...

2. Get a new faceplate from Fliptops, and go back with a toggle switch instead of the red pushbutton...and maybe some new Tolex.

If you take it apart, you can remove the front grill and clean it, probably without replacing the grill cloth.

Great gift!!

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The tolex is dirty, but untorn. A new face plate sound like a good idea...

4. Unless one of the tubes is obviously fried, I'd keep what ya got in there. I still have some of the original tubes from my V-4, and they are still good. Contrary to some people's opinions, tubes--especially preamp tubes--don't really "wear out"... If you really want new tubes, though, I've heard a lot of people recommending Lord Valve. You won't have to make any weird substitutions, you can still get every single tube that goes into your amp. Look and make sure somebody hasn't plugged in any strange tubes.

Personally I'd be more concerned about the filter caps (and possibly the coupling caps) than the tubes. A good thorough cap job will set you back a few dollars, but look at the price of a brand new V4BH. Refurbish this old classic, and (if refurbished properly) you'll have a rugged, reliable tone monster that'll last you for years with very little maintenance.

If you read all the posts about the old V4's and V4B's the only complaint (aside from their weight) is that they are a little underpowered by today's standards. An efficient speaker cabinet is a necessity if you want to use this amp in a loud rock setting. Though for country and older rock, my V4 does OK.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Why change anything cosmetically? It looks cool like that. Just clean it up with some Armor-All.

-Mike

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What model is that exactly?

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    He said it was '72 SVT

8. Yeah... and he's a keyboard player. :spit:

9. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    That's pretty cool...

Now how come I don't know anyone who will give me some nice vintage gear? :mad:

10. Yeah, stupid dumb keyboard players!!! :mad: :spit:

Wait a minute.... I'm also a keyboard player. ;) :ninja: