Look What Brown Brought Me (Not Sadowsky)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Just delivered, Fender MIA P-bass, butterscotch blonde with maple fret. I've only had it since 4:00 but MY GOD, it sounds sweet. Note, the neck joint has a small gap, a previous poster called it his "pick holder", no big problem. However, my CIJ Fender Geddy has no gap. Gotta go and play!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nice color. How do you like your S-1 switch?
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looks great, the S-1 is a strange little bugger. I always trusted a Push/pull pot a little more than these things. Feel fragile to me.

Other than that, she's a beat!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats and Enjoy. :bassist:
  5. S-1 switch feels a little flimsy, kind of moves around inside the volumn but I don't see it as easily breakable. I've only been fooling around for a few hours but the switch does give the P a brighter, more jazz-like tone. But it doesn't have that distinct tone my Geddy has. It almost acts like an additional tone shape. BIG difference is the neck after playing the GL and it is MUCH lighter. Gotta go play!
  6. that thing looks (and i bet sounds) great! congrats, i hope you enjoy it.
  7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have an MIA P-Bass that I like quite a bit. It has a Nordstrand NP4 pickup wired to the existing S-1 switch. To be quite honest I don't use the parallel mode much, but it's handy to have a slightly different tone on hand.

Very cool bass!
    - Art
  8. Thanks all. I am having too much fun with this thing. I'd only demo'd these sitting down but the P feels sooooo much lighter than my J. I agree I don't see a lot of use out of the S switch but I have done some experimenting with it in combo with the tone knob and it does add a funky tone shape. The color turned out great. I wanted it to look like a modern version of the 51 RI. Gotta go play!
  9. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    My MIA Precision doesn't have a neck gap. I would demand a new one!
  10. Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    This gap actually seems a key thing in the Fender sound. I read an interview with a luthier that he always wants a 'little gap' because it's one of the things that influence the vintage Fender sound.
  11. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
  12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    My Read P has a series/paralell switch and aside from slapping with it, it's pretty useless to me.

I just don't know why Fender felt the need to put one on and try and mess with a good thing.
  13. yeah, i too think you should ask for a new one to get rid of that neck gap... unless you got a great deal because of it.
  14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If he ordered it online he could be exchanging and swapping for a while until he finds one that doesn't have a gap..or even one that doesn't have a gap but has other problems too.

I'd say if the neck doesn't shift, it plays good and stays in tune, keep it. Where did you get it? Most places have a decent return time period for you to be able to evaluate it.
  15. I bought it at a local music store, very reputable. I called them and asked about it because I didn't notice it at first. The owner said the Fenders come in that way. The problem is sort of like the fit and finish on a car, where door and hood seems are better on some makes than others, but if it was problematic he would simply exchange it. I'm going to give it a little time. It took a while to get the color in but I can bring it back anytime in the next 30 days.
  16. Interesting statement, so I went over to the luthiers corner and it turns out that bassliner may be correct, and its not necessarily unique to Fender. Issues with the size and fit of neck pockets is a fairly common thread.

Example 2:
    Example 3:
    These discussions go on and on. It would appear that this gap does not adversely affect tone, and may well be desirable. On the other hand, I think it does speak to the quality of production and attention to detail. I don't have one, but I'll bet that all those Sadowsky's everyone has do not have gaps. Oh well, my bass has amazing sound and plays well, so for now, "Don't worry, be happy".
  17. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    Cool information. Either way, I love my MIA P! It's probablythe least expensive bass I've bought in years and it's my main axe.
  18. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    That is a sweet looking bass!! Especially the color.

I am, however, scratching my head trying to figure out how a gap in a neck pocket would give more of a vintage tone? I can take a stab as to why, but I'd be curious to hear that luthier's take on it.
  19. Thats a beautiful bass. I'm more of a JBass guy myself, but on occasion I do love to slap the hell out of P. It's got a certain sound to it that J's just don't quite have.
  20. You guys are insane.

keep the bass that plays/sounds/looks great. The replacement with the "correct", pretty neck pocket may be a real dog, thus starting a rousing round of buyers-traders remorse.

If you quibble about the little teensy things, you're never one to be happy. Just my opinion. As for those that think the gap is causing vibration loss, tell that to the bolt-on super extended cutaway basses that still sound killer.

The bass you got is real nice. enjoy it.