Look what fell off the UPS truck

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by balembic, Nov 22, 2003.

1. balembic

Oct 17, 2003
    Huntington, WV
    I stopped by my local music store today Route 60 Music and noticed they received a smashed Fender Frontman 25B from the distributor. The right side was blown out and the left was jarred loose, but the guts worked. Besides it's looks the only bad thing was that it broke up very badly if the volume was turned past five. Then one of the guys working there and I noticed that if we pressed our knees on opposite sides of it's broken shell it stopped. So I decided that I could fix it and was able to buy it for $80 "as is".

A few hours later, a bottle of cyanoacrylate(super) glue, a bottle of Titebond wood glue, and the unleashing the stress of a work week on a Friday with a 28oz hammer whipped this bad boy into shape. This cabinet is so tight now that Michael Jackson...well it's stronger now than it came from the factory.

Now I am really suprised. This is a great amp. I NEVER thought that a bass could make so much sound with 25 watts. I went back and did a search and it seams like everyone else seams to agree. I have to admit I haven't tried some of the others like the MicroBass, etc... but if this is even close to them I envy current beginners. Not that this is a beginner amp, but that it is available at such a low cost.

I tried it with all my basses which are active and hot. The first thing I did was cranked it to see if it would 'fart' out...it did but by backing it down just slightly and a little differently for each bass it was loud. It made my autographed 'Roy Clark Big Note Songbook' guitar almost jump off it's wall hanger. I bet if you had passive pickups you could run it on 10 with no problem and have more access to the EQ.

For some of you with a Bass Pod, I plugged it into the "power amp in" and it sounded GREAT. The only thing I noticed was that the Pod didn't drive the power amp as hard as the amps preamp, but the sound was pure to the Pod. It may not have "sounded" as loud because the lows were deeper and the energy may have been spent there.

I give it BOTH THUMBS UP

2. balembic

Oct 17, 2003
    Huntington, WV
    Oops here it is now...
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Funny, every Frontman i've tried sounded horrible. Maybe you got a good one? :confused:
  4. balembic

Oct 17, 2003
    Huntington, WV
    You gotta take it for what it is. It isn't going to be a save all, end all. It's 25 watts into a 10" used very efficiently, clean and cheap.

Maybe it's the glue...:bassist: