Look what happened to my beautiful Pedulla

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mightypog, Feb 28, 2024.

1. mightypog

mightypog Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Me and this bass have played in 8 time zones between Seattle and Bahrain. I bought it 20 years ago with a hairline fracture in the neck that saved me approximately $2,000 on what was otherwise a flawless bass. I had Mike Lull (god rest him) seal the crack as best as he could some years ago and it held all this time. I took it out of the case at a gig Sunday, and this is what I found. Thank god for my 5-string Sadowsky, but my heart is broken for this beautiful instrument and long-time friend. Has anyone ever seen anything like this get repaired or is it a whole new neck (It's neck-thru) Pedulla neck.jpg ?

2. Hoochie Coochie Man

Hoochie Coochie Man Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    The Chequamegon
  3. mightypog

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, WA
  4. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    What gauge strings and what tuning was it in? Just curious.

5. mightypog

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Medium lights, standard tuning.

stigbeve likes this.
  6. Looks like a typical Gibson electric guitar break. Don’t give up hope, I think it can be repaired to almost unnoticeable condition & stronger than ever.

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    Detroit
    I bet that's fixable. Good luck

8. mightypog

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Your mouth to God's ear.

9. If it wasn't a pedula I'd glue and clamp that myself, if it was mine. but for that bass? yea, get it done professionally, to hopefully solve the smaller finish issues that someone like me cannot solve. Very sad, but I believe it is fixable.

Dr. Cheese, tindrum, DirtDog and 9 others like this.
  10. “We can fix him! We can make him better!”

11. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    Yes, a friend of mine had a Epiphone 6 string that fell off the stand and broke the head much like yours. Tight Bond and clamps did the trick for it. I'm pretty sure a good luthier could take care of this for you.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  12. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Wow I would cry if i pulled my bass out and saw that.

Dr. Cheese, tindrum, Aledal and 4 others like this.
  13. mightypog

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I about threw up.

14. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It's a Pedulla. That can be fixed, but should have splines put in my a professional.

15. mightypog

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Who's we? I would LOVE to meet "we"!!!! Do you know such a person?

Lance Bunyon likes this.
  16. bherman

bherman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I'm a woodworker, clean breaks like that are your friend. Take it to a pro - I would imagine epoxy would do it. Glue is stronger than wood. She'll be ready for another 20+ yrs

17. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

I know Eric'a Guitar in Van Nuys, CA can fix it. When I was there last week, a guy came in to pick up his guitar that had the same break, when he saw it, he couldn't believe how good a job Eric did.

Eric's Guitar Shop

mikewalker, kentiki, tindrum and 14 others like this.
  18. KellyC

KellyC Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2023
    Scottsdale AZ
    Looks like a clean break, as guitar repair student at the University of YouTube, I've seen much worse get sorted right as rain. Gibson has given luthiers plenty of practice.

19. Michael Stanley 2112

Michael Stanley 2112 Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    I think I would probably actually cry. Not that I have any bass that expensive, but if it happened to my favorite bass.

20. Five or Six

Five or Six

Jun 21, 2022
    West Michigan
    Sorry for your perdicament! Bruce does things that no one else will touch. Since I've been on this board I've follow some of his fixes / builds and all are amazing. I'd see if he would take on the repair or tell you it can't be fixed. If he won't do it, no one will.

mikewalker, tindrum, bholder and 2 others like this.