Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look what I just got!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lildrgn, Oct 31, 2001.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
  2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Overall, I think you got a good deal.

3. Lildrgn, you did certainly get a good deal in this P.

But rather than that just being because of the price (which was fairly good), there is just a little more to it. The Japanese instruments are IMO on the par with the MIA ones on practically a one to one basis. I've got 2 and honestly can't find enough of a difference to mention. But the way the market is right now - with a lot of junk coming out of Korea, Mexico, and Indonesia - it has become fashionable to lump all overseas Fender equipment into the same subpar category as one might do with a Cort or Hondo. What you really have is a bass that is undervalued more than anything else. And what is the advantage of this undervaluing? Well, again aside from the initial price, it is a perfect instrument to customize without the usual fears of lowering it's resale value. As a platform to make whatever you want, it'll never be worth less than it is right now and that is something even the new MIA Fenders can't boast of. The necks on these MIJITSO's* are absolutely fabulous because they are essentially copies of the early 60's necks - nice and thin - and you can't get that in a MIA unless you spend some money on the upcharges to get a nice re-issue. So go for it! Do anything you want to it to make it your own "Lull" cuz it's got the potential.

*MIJITSO - "Made In Japan In The Style Of" - a term I coined from an observation made by world reknown Fender expert Bill Bolton referring to Japanese re-issue basses as not being totally perfect in their execution. Mainly the hardware isn't the same as the originals so Bill prefers to say that they are made "In the style of" say, a 62 Precision rather than being the same as a true re-issue instrument.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Looks like a good deal to me. Enjoy.

5. nice.

I'm wondering whether it's just the battery for the active EMG's that's gone.
    (I'm guessing the owner hasn't taken the scratchplate off since he bought it- "I'm not sure if it's the electronics" -on a P bass?)

6. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    score! nice bass!!!!

7. Wooooohoooooo!!!

Looks like you got a good deal brother!P`s are awesome basses!I think a white pearloid picguard would look better on her though. ;)

8. Looks like a good deal! You will probably end up with a really nice bass after you get it fixed up and add a couple upgrades to it. Long live the P!

jtbp

9. Ohh, skunk stripe.

10. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    So Hambone,

could you tell via the s/n that it's a Japanese model? I tried searching the web but couldn't find anything. And how do EMG pickups sound versus the stock ones?

Gwon

11. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I ain't Hambone, but it don't think that's the serial number. The '1' is probably an 'I' or 'L'. If I it's 89-90 if L it's 91-92.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You got a great deal IMHO. It looks like the stock PUs have been replaced with EMGs. It could be as simple as a battery or maybe they were never wired correctly. One thing to check is the Pots. Often, people don't realize that you have to have low impedence pots to go with the Low-Z PUs. So, if they slapped in the EMGs and left the old passive pots in there, it wouldn't work.

Also, EMG uses a stereo patch jack in a mono configuration so that the second lead completes the circuit, or "turns on" the bass. That's why unplugging "turns off" the battery. I once had a jack lose it's shape and no longer make contact. It wouldn't close the circuit and therefore the PUs wouldn't work.

Remember that EMGs are absolutely active. They won't work at all if they aren't getting juice.

So.

1. Check battery.
    2. Check Jack.
    3. Check pots.
    4. Check all connections.
    5. You may also go to http://www.emginc.com and see if you can get a diagram to make sure they are correctly wired.

Even if they are shot, you can slap a SD quarterpounder in there and you'll have sweetheart of a bass for around $325.

Color is interesting. I second the idea of a white peroid guard. But keep the black one too.

13. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Sweet!

You guys complete me! I cannot wait to get my paws on this bass, working or not. I have the Sterling, the Jazz and now an incoming P bass. All I need now is a Stingray to have myself a dangerous little collection.

Thanks for all the positive comments! It's just making the wait that much harder.

Gwon