Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look What I Won, Good Deal ( AMP BH-420 )???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just won this on Ebay. Looks to be in a little rough cosmetic condition but if she works and sounds good, I guess that's all that counts. I'll prob have a tech go thru it just to be sure and at a minimum, replace the missing instrument input.

AMP BH-420 Won on Ebay

[​IMG]

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Thats a great deal! I don't think its SWR though... Wasn't Amp their own company (and did not turn into SWR)?

3. Wow, nice deal, especially when it comes with the rack and BBE Sonic Maximizer.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The seller is our own eldave!:cool:

You got a good deal. If the amp is fully operational, that is below the going rate.

AMP was bought by Gibson, but some of the people involved went on to found SWR.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    But, but what about your Kustom?

That looks like a great deal! The AMP alone is worth $250.

6. He can give it to me.

I'll even pay for shipping.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's a heck of a deal, even needing a little work, Fred. Congrats.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Killer deal for a nice rack... Congrats!

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yes, by the way. What are you going to do with the Kustom?

11. Quadzilla

You always need a good backup head. This will back up my Kustom and also be used on smaller gigs where I don't need 1200 THUNDEROUS watts (and the extra weight)...

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    AMP was never part of Gibson. After they went under, lead designer Russ Allee designed the GB440 amp for Gibson that was heavily based on the BH-420.

SWR founder Steve Rabe did some design work for AMP in the early years (the SL-1 preamp). Both Rabe and Allee had worked at Acoustic (Russ had been involved in designing the 360).

Russ later did some work for Eden on the Traveler amps.

13. Quadzilla

Doesn't the guy from Thunderfunk post here? Wonder if he would be willing to give the head a once over, replace any caps that appear to be ready to go, etc... Anybody know his user name? Thanks!

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    His user name is Thunderfunk.

-Mike

15. Quadzilla

Thanks MJ! I sent him an email.

16. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    WOW! That Eldave guy must be a great guy!!! I'll miss that AMP amp. It was very GOOD good to me. Enjoy!!! :bawl:

17. Quadzilla

Thanks Dave! I'll use her well! I'm prob going to send her over to Dave at Thunderfunk just to go thru it (it's only $50 + parts). Thanks again!

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's most likely the best $50 you could spend on that amp.

19. Quadzilla

Got the AMP BH-420 tonight. Everything works 100%. Came packed very well.

Love the tone from this thing. A lot of warmth for a solid state as described in reviews I've read on Harmony Cental and Bass Gear Reivew, etc. Believe it or not, it sounds very much like my Kustom Groove Bass 1200. Both get that warm, gritty, over-driven tuby sound when you crank the gain knob. I like the EQ section better on the AMP than the Kustom, but the Kustom obviously has more headroom than the AMP, but the AMP can hold it's own against other 400w heads I've played! This with my Avatar CB112 (1x12 compact with Eminence Kappa 80oz magnet speaker), will be a nice little comact powerhouse!

Thanks again ElDave! I'm going to send her off next week to Dave at Thunderfunk.