Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look what I've gotten myself into

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatrhino, Mar 17, 2003.

1. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I have the worst luck with bass amps. This last show. My Trace Elliot head fried and blew my Avatar 4x10 and Eden 1x15XLT. Holy Mother of Crap was I pissed. I am out an entire full stack. The Eden isn't even warranty because I had to replace the speaker previously due to my Trace frying the coil. I've spent over $400 fixing the Trace over the years and I bought it for $600. There is no way in hell I'm fixing it again. And I've had to replace the Eden speaker (which I am not even that impressed with) before and do not want to again. So in a rash of impuslive necessity (?) I bought the following:

The new GK 1001RB II 700watts
    and a Ampeg 810E

I am in debt up to my ears but with so many shows comming up I need something reliable and I hope this will be my last amp purchase for a LONG LONG time. wheeeew.

2. Wow, the whole shootin match took a big dump in the same gig.....:(

Hope the GK / Ampeg rig works well for you, you deserve to have some good luck for a change!!!!:bassist:

I'd offer something for the old toasted cabs if I had some money, I love picking up busted hand me downs. Wouldn't want the Trace tho - I think I'd use that for target practice, a boat anchor, or drink a few beers and roll it down a steep rocky hill and watch it disintegrate into little bits and laugh about it.

3. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Thanks, I think I sell the Trace for like $100. Maybe a techie out there wants a parts amp or a fixer-uper. Or maybe i'll just keep it for the cool green light it has (thats about all its good for).

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Ouch! I lost some gear at a gig last month, but a whole stack?! You've got me beat. You have my sympathy. Thanks for putting my loss into perspective. I was really pissed but I now see it could've been a lot worse.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    WOW! I've heard of people blowing a speaker or 2, I've heard of amps frying, but I've NEVER hear of both happening at once!

Can any of the Techies out there give as an insight as to what happened?

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    How much for the Eden and Avatar? ;)

7. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Simple. An output transistor shorts out. This makes the speaker cabinets the shortest path between one side of the (beefy) power supply and ground. Can you say instant overload? You won't even have time to kiss your speakers good-bye!

Back in the early days of transistor amps, it used to happen all the time. That's why companies like QSC are so paranoid about protection circuits. I guess some manufacturers never learned that lesson.

8. Yup. 40+ VDC can do some damage to speakers for sure. This is the one case where amplifiers actually put DC into speakers. Most newer amps have adequate DC-fault protection, but a surprising number do not. I see this occur way more in "budget amps" where manufacturers have cut corners to keep prices down. I would have thought TE's would have better protection though...
    That sucks, but new gear is always good!

9. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    would a power conditioner avoid this?

where are you located?

-erik

ps - man that sucks about yer gear.

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I wouldn't think so. The power conditoner only works on the AC coming in. If I understand correctly, the DC that fried his gear came from within the amp.

11. Nope.

12. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I never understood why Trace didn't come up with a better design for their power amps. They built those killer pre's (GP7 & GP12SMX) and then teamed them up with those sh1tty power amps.

That's why I bought the GP12SMX preamp and a QSC power amp. The only trouble I've had with that preamp: I had to replace the input gain pot. Not bad for 9 years! :cool:

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Amp protection is one thing. What about speaker protection devices? I see them marketed at electronics places (often as DIY kits) but never looked into them. Are they worth the trouble?

14. Cool!!!

Nice to have gear that lasts.

BTW- your sig.... I hate being compared to a nipple!!!!:mad::meh:

Funny as hell, tho!!!!:D :D

15. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Oh yea. I did replace the tube. Once. But that's not really a reliability issue; the tube was still working. :)

16. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I think I'll try to sell the Eden for $100 - $150 and I've just keep the Avatar as a coffee table or something...

17. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    My R600 has a fault protection thing, where if something goes wrong, the whole thing instantly shuts down to avoid anything getting blown. I'm sure many newer amps have things like that.

hey, you may have lost some gear, but at least it died honorably and not in some fire or something.

18. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    lol jesus that sucks. Im using the gk head u have right now untill my eden wt 800 comes in. I played it though the exact set up u just got. sounded very nice

19. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I dunno... I figure the Trace committed double murder/suicide. I don't consider that an honorable death.