Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look What Sombody Gave Me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willyp2004, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Today my friend gave me a Fender Jazz Bass. It's not brand new or anything but its in almost mint condition. The only thing is it doesn't have a G-string (go ahead and laugh) so all I have to do is put a new set of strings, so is there a set of strings better for a Jazz bass? And also what is up with people buying basses from Mexico and not from America? I mean they have to be pretty damn good, at least I would hope they would be. Anyway any information on my new Fender J-Bass would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx,
    WillyP

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    What year is it, also can you post some pics.
    Serial # might help too.

Also, Congrats. And I'm not laughing. A free bass that's only missing the G string.

3. the serial number is MN8157882, and this one is made in Mexico which is kinda sux, but it sounds better than my Fender Squire P-Bss so I can't complain.

4. the serial number is MN8157882, and this one is made in Mexico which kinda sux, but it sounds better than my Fender Squire P-Bss so I can't complain. And i don't have a digital camera so i can't post any pics of it yet. I'll have to borrow a friends camera.

5. he gave it to you?!

post pics!:eek:

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't bash Mexican basses. My #2 bass is a MIM P-Bass which I love dearly. Using it more than my American Stingray at the moment actually.

Someone around here has something in their profile kinda like this 'the only difference between a Mexican Fender and an American Fender is one is made in Mexico by Mexicans and the other is made here by Mexicans'

Some of the best basses I've played have been under $400.00, my P-Bass being one of them. Price doesn't directly equal quality, but at higher prices, the instruments are generally more consistent quality. Just gotta find the gem in the Mexicans. I know I did :D

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    M denotes Mexico, N= Ninety, 8 is the second digit of the year.

1998 MIM, not too shabby for a freebie!

Congrats!

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The Fender Mexican Basses generally cost less than HALF of what an American made bass costs...
    You can get MIM J-basses @ MF for $420. The MIA J-Basses cost over $900. That's why.

9. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    You got a free bass. Thats awesome no matter what kind of bass it is:D

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    is that on the fender website? i need to check mine when i get home. now i'm all curious!!

11. Thanx for all the feed back. Mine sounds just fine for an MIM, I wasn't neccesarily bashing MIM basses but I was just go with the sterotype that you don't buy stuff like this from Mexico thats all. But I still need to know if there is a certain set of strings that I should buy for my J-bass. Are the some really good ones for J-basses?

12. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Excellent score!

The type of strings you want would depend on the overall feel and sound you're after. Me? I prefer Ken Smith stainless steel rockmasters, but I like bright strings that fight back a little.

Seems like I see a lot of folks who use GHS strings and like them just fine, and almost every music store and pawn shop carries them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the MIM stuff, with the exception that the quality (density, tap tones, weight, etc.) of the woods is sometimes not consistent from bass to bass, and the electronics/pickups can be a bit weak. But the majority of the ones I've seen are just fine and great players!

Enjoy it!

:^)~

13. I really appreciate all the feedback i have recieved from you guyz and i'm really impressed the way everyone backs MIM basses so that leaves me with a good feeling about mine. Well anyway i'm off to play my new bass! Rock on!

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Thats Great!

I resently was given a 79 Stratacaster by my best friend whom Ive know since about that time. He never plays it. I'm doing it some honer and haveing it refinished.Some kind of red it is the original color that was stripped in a drug induced frenzy of creativity.

AJ

15. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I like DR's. Maybe put flatwounds on it, for some thump.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Sounds like a reason to stay up late!:bassist:

A free bass. A nice free bass. A cool nice free bass!:eek:

Can't beat that. Except maybe a stinkin' wining lotto ticket or something.:cool:

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a MIM P that was upgraded a bit by the previous owner and I've got to say that it's a really good little bass. It was used in Memphis on some pretty high-level sessions, and it's getting a lot of recording time in AL nowadays.

A very respectable bass. Not at all bothered to hang it next to my more boutiquey basses. I really enjoy playing it, it's a monster tone-wise. There's a lot to be said for a nice cheap bass.

have fun with yours. take good care of it.

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Nice job!

Just remember, "If it's free, it's for me!"

19. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I too own a MIM Jazz bass. I bought it a year ago and I added '60s custom shop pickups and a badass II bridge (which came today). I use D' Addario xlt 170 strings. The bass sounds great and IT feels great. When I tried it out I automatically thought it was a MIA jazz bass! Thast cool your freind gave it to you and enjoy!

20. Man i had know idea that people loved MIM basses so much. This makes me feel great that i own one. Like that other guy said "if its free its for me!!!!!" thanks for you guyz you've been great. This bass forum is great, you get answers you need and want, what more could you ask for!