Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lookie, Lookie - I got my first Akai

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tecx, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I just scored a Akai DJ Shred-O-Matic, pedal... here is the skimmy...

D1 - Shred-O-Matic
    Tube / Solid -State Hybrid Distortion

The Akai Shred-O-Matic offers mind-bending 12AX7A tube and diode distortion in one unit. Using Shred-O-Matic's MIX function in either TUBE or DIODE mode allows player dynamics to customize the distortion. When playing softly, the signal is routed only through the tube section, resulting in a mellow, low-level distortion. Harder playing will mix the warm, low-level output of the tube section with the screaming output of the diode section. For maximum flexibility, two user selectable modes are also available, SMOOTH, providing a gradual change between tube and diode and PASSION, providing an abrupt change.

Shred-O-Matic features easy-to-see and easy-to-use controls including output level control and LED indicator for distortion mode. The foot switch turns the effects on and off and when the unit is off, and the internal circuitry allows the signal to bypass the unit, without coloring the sound. The Shred-O-Matic's foot pedal provides total control of either the output level or the drive level. Additionally, while operating in the MIX mode, the pedal can be used to switch between tube and diode distortion.

Mind-bending 12AX7A tube sound plus diode distortion in one pedal

Pedal allows dynamic control of drive level, output level, and the ability to mix tube and diode distortion for shred customization

The Shred-O-Matic allows you to choose between 4 distortion modes:

TUBE - Provides the warm, fat sound of tube distortion

DIODE - Provides the harder, edgier sound of diode distortion

MIX - In both modes the mix is determined by player dynamics. When playing softly, the signal will be routed only through the tube section, resulting in a mellow, low-level distortion. Harder playing will mix the warm, low-level output of the tube section with the screaming output of the diode section. Two modes are available;

SMOOTH - Gradual change between tube and diode

PASSION - Abrupt change between tube and diode

Pedal Assign - Selects the Foot Pedal assignment. In DRIVE, the Pedal controls the distortion level In OUTPUT, it controls the volume of the output signal

True Bypass

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Just scored a AKAI UNI-BASS off of Ebay. This is possibly the coolest pedal I have ever experienced in my life!:D

I took the guitar effect and ran it to a t.c. electronic's chorus pedal and split the stereo outputs to two guitar amps, one on each side of my bass rig. Its like I have two guitars following me, single note and chordaly.

I played with this setup in a trio setting and the guitarist and drummer were dumbfounded at the sound I was getting during guitar solos.

PS. AND it tracks perfectly down to my low B!:eek: :D

3. I got an Akai Deep Impact synth a couple of weeks ago.

It's totally frickin' ace! Tracks perfectly, even with my crappy fretless playing (it's a nice bass, just my intonation is miles out) and it sounds just brilliant!

I just wish I was good enough to deserve using such a good piece of gear.:oops:

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got the Akai Hexacomp. It's great! It stays on all the time. Frequency specific compression! I think I read that the Variwah isn't good for bass. I want to try a Deep Impact or Unibass.

5. I'm getting my Variwah modded to be better for bass. $10 from fxdoctor.com.

I sure would like to try a Unibass. I'd need a pretty beefy guitar rig, though.

Is the Hexacomp noisy? My Fafner's onboard compression isn't split-frequency so it sounds terrible with a low B.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Like any compressor, it's noisy if you crank it. I leave it on a "subtle" setting, and occasionally increase it to a "reasonable" setting depending on the room. I found an eq curve I like and leave that set. The eq sliders are *very* powerful. It's well built, strong metal w/ a good switch.

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Clarification: You do not have to have a separate guitar rig for the UNI-BASS pedal (it just sounds better this way).

It has volume, distortion and tone controls that only apply to the guitar effect even if its running in mono with your bass signal to the bass rig. It works perfectly well this way too.

Even if I use my whole bass rig (700 watts with 2 2x12 cabs) a guitar amp of 50 watts is plenty to amplify the guitar effect sufficiently (if using a separate guitar amp with it).

8. Noted. So would a 65-watt solid-state amp be able to keep up with my Fafner/2xGS112 rig?

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    EASY. Treble frequencies take far less wattage to amplify at relative volumes to bass frequencies. Thats why you never see guitar amps over 100 watts yet a good bass rig is rarely under 300 watts.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a UniBass and a Deep Impact. Both rule i their own category.

11. I've never heard of one of them before..... how good is it as a compressor?

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Err... very good. That's why I said it was great and why I leave it on all the time. I wouldn't do that if it sucked, I promise. They're discontinued, and I don't see them around much, so maybe everybody else who has one likes it too.

13. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, just as I get into the market for a good compressor.