Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lookie what I got! (an Ampeg SB-12)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Jul 31, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Before you see the pictures, as you all know, I have an extreme dislike for modern Ampeg gear. However, i've played enough of the older stuff to see that it's much more transparent, and less muddy than the modern day amps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's actually in pretty rough condition. I'm borrowing it for (at least) a year from a friend of my Dad's to fix it up. The power tubes aren't even the same kind, i've gotta get some replacement 7868s, which are somewhat hard to find (only EH makes new ones, and they're 50 bucks a pair!:eek: ). The input jacks are fairly shoddy, and it's overall just really dusty. The caps however don't look leaky at all, though, which is good. The original speaker seems to be in good condition, but farts out pretty easily. :( Might have to replace it with a Weber Ceramic Michican. It's also very staticy when overdriving, but almost nails the Jack Bruce sound with the volume dimed, the bass flat, and the treble all the way down. It's also not that loud, so it's perfect as a home practice amp. I'm also gonna take it down to the beach with me & my guitarist, so we can jam without being too loud.

2. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    OX, that's a sweet amp. I've got a '67 ampeg B-18x and a '61 reverberocket and I couldn't agree with you more. Have fun restoring (and playing) that great piece of gear.

OSF

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It actually makes a great clean guitar amp, sounded amazing with my guitarist's Les Paul.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    My favorite cabinet. I used to use a small amp and cruddy power amp driving the 12 cab. It always sounded thick and full. The amp is also great albeit underpowered. Best of luck with it and don't touch the 2 latches at the same time when the amp is on.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Tee hee... I already did. :D