1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lookie Whut I Found

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 100_0758.

100_0759.

100_0761.

100_0763.

100_0764.

100_0766.

100_0767.

100_0775.

100_0773.

Inside that sticker it says:::

Style - CELEBRITY
    Serial no. - Z-0423
    MOSRITE OF CALIFORNIA
    INC.

This instrument is guaranteed against faulty
    workmanship and defective materials
    Bakersfield, California
    U.S.A.

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Pretty cool! Now quick, play some Buck Owens.

3. Interesting! How does it sound?

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Pretty cool find!

You might have a tough time getting them to honor that guarantee if you need them to, though! :)

5. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    That is really awesome. Don't see those every day!

6. It's got a crackle-y pot and a mismatched tuner on the D string, but it sounds purr-it-y nice. Woody with nice definition. Not boomy, but more thud-dy. The strings are pretty old and prolly dead - but it sounds a lot like Sir Paul's bass.

Short scale and all - it plays easily enough, even for someone accustomed to longer necks. The brain just figgers it out almost instantly.

Now --- youse guys know me and I don't like previously owned (used) things, so this is going on the sales block.

I've done just a smidge of research so far, and it's a Celebrity Z-III model as I've found out --- and the case (did I forget to mention it has an original case?) and some of the case candy inside the case - says it's a 1967.

From a Mosrite site::

7. Nice!

8. Very cool! Is that a hanger on the tuning keys?

9. chicomalo

chicomalo

Jul 17, 2012
    Escondido, CA
    Score!

10. Yeah --it's a leather strap.

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Was it selling for less than $1000

12. The strap? Yeah - a lot less than $1000.00.

The bass is an 'almost-gift'.

Kinda hard to 'splain - but right on the tip of my tongue.

13. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    You're really gonna sell that beaut? I'd keep it!

14. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    If I were you dude I would keep that baby and remove the pickguard mm really sexy

15. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Very Nice Bass. Mosrite has some cool history. I remember when I was a kid seeing the California surf band, "The Ventures" playing Mosrite guitars and bass on TV. At that time I only heard about Fenders and Gibsons. I thought they looked cool. It turns out that from 1963 to 1966, The Ventures had a business hand that was involved in promoting and actualy distributing Mosrite guitars. In 1967 they lost their distribution contact with Mosrite and went back to playing Fenders. I wonder what vintage your bass is?

16. Nah --- it's gotta go to make way for Fender stuff. Besides - it's used and I don't wanna break in any new personal habits.

I'll clean it 'n wax 'er till she shines and start the process.

17. Uh...isn't that mistake #1 for a piece of vintage collectable gear?

I don't know if that bass is vintage or collectable, but if it is you best leave it alone before you devalue it.

:meh:

18. OK - point taken.

19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Depends, I don't consider dirt and cigarette smoke on a finish as patina. Cleaning and polishing it shouldn't de-value it, altering it will. Cleaning can't really be considered alteration. The knobs have patina, re-painting them would be a no-no, etc.