Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lookin for a good compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman60, Aug 26, 2003.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Hey guys, I'm lookin for a good compressor for around 100 to 130 bucks. Should I go rack-mount, pedal, console? There are three in particular that I'm looking at at the moment, but if anyone else has an suggestions I am open. Here's the three I'm considering right now.

alesis

presonus

digitech

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    [​IMG]

Behringer Compressor for $89

Every studio Tech I've ever talked to says that
    the mdx2200 blows the Alesis away.

It works great for Bass.
    I've had one for a couple of years now and
    couldn't be happier.

Behringer?

Well this is a difficult one to answer really. At the time there was a price war going on (as there is now) and the bigger/better studio quality types were priced well out of the reach of a semi-pro band on a small income. The Behringer units were well priced and offered several more features for the money. The sound quality was although not as good as the better studio versions it was better than some of the equipment we were using at that time. So bang for buck Behringer was then the best choice.

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    It would help if we knew what you needed the compressor to do for you. A compressor will do different things for you depending where you place it in your signal chain.

4. black_JB62

black_JB62

Aug 10, 2003
    Tokyo
    You may want to try the Carl Martin Compressor (stompbox). Probably one of the most versatile w/ regards to controllable parameters, save Oxygen Black Box (bit expensive, though). I think you can get the Carl Martin for USD200 new or less used.

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Mind if I borrow your thread bassman60? :)

Does anyone know what kind of compressor/settings could give me a very punchy, almost kickdrum-like effect? It can be either pedal or rackmount, but I'd prefer rackmount.

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I highly recommend the Trace Eliott Dual Compressor pedal - you'll have to find a secondhand one though, they're discontinued now.

Alex

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Whoah. Thanks :)

Musician's Friend says it has limited quantities of the MDX2200... has it been discontinued or something?

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    DBX 163X!.. 50 bucks shipped off of ebay...

Cheers

Alex

9. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    I'm mainly looking to get some more sustain. Some kick drum like punch in some situations would be very useful too.

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The 163X is great for both sustain and punch... There are only 2 controls, compression and level. Set the level to somwhere your amp likes. For sustain set the compression at half, for punch set it up full - major kick drum attack...

Alex

[​IMG]

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Yup, being discontinued.
    Being replaced by the MDX 2600 "Pro XL" model.
    The same as the MDX 2200, but with a new tube simulation circuit.

The MDX 2600 XL runs about $109 at AMS.

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    So should I probably go with the MDX2600 if I've got the extra $20?

13. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Sure, why not?

If you do go for the 2600XL, give us a review.

14. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I use an ART Levelar compressor. It is silent, transparent and compresses. ~$50 on the bay. So cheap I bought a second one as a back-up.

15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I just added a dbx 266XL Compressor/Gate to my rig...really nice! Much better than the Alesis Nanocompressor I was using...really nice for bass, I just use it in my effects loop, sounds super!

16. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The 163X is exactly what you need!!! It is the little brother to the 160a, which is not only a bass machine it is a coveted piece of studio gear...

Alex

17. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    How does the dbx 160a compare to the Behringer?

It's not a stereo compressor like the Behringer, but would it still be able to get the sound I'm looking for?

18. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Already went there.... read below...

19. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Oops, must have missed that. Thanks :)

Now I need to decide whether to get the Behringer new or find a used dbx 160A. Hmmm. :smug:

20. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    There are always 163's on e-bay... They are highly looked over...

Alex