Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lookin for a more natural tube-screamer-like OD for bass (pedal)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassoptimus, May 25, 2004.

1. alright so ive got this boss OD-3 overdrive and ive been playing with this thing for about 2 years now and im not satisfied, in my mind it sounds alot more like metal type distortion versus actual overdrive. i was playing through one of my guitarist's tube screamers and i think it sounds awesome cuz its actual overdrive, but it cuts my bass range right in half cuz its a guitar pedal versus a bass pedal. my question is, are there any good pedals like that for bass?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, there are. If you look at the top of the forum you'll see a distortion/overdrive pedals review mega thread. Take a look in there.

3. i'm very happy using my Fulltone Bass Drive

4. Ding! Try one of these.

5. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor - it's an tube overdrive/boost, bit pricey but worth the money, doesn't eat your low end and it's simple to use.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    having the same prob. i'll be watching. :ninja:

7. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    and yet add one more vote the fulltone is the answer in a single pedal. it has two stages one for classic svt break up and a second for over the top overdrive. The boss IMHO starts out in over the top and get just plain wierd.

8. thanx guys, i shall find this pedel and demo it... somewhere and hopefully it will be awesome

9. Corygma

Corygma

Feb 1, 2004
    You might want to try the Jekyll and Hyde distortion from Visual Sound. It features 2 distortions, one based on the TS808 Tube Screamer for overdrive, and another for distortion. They can be dialed in separatedly, or together.

The bass players that have done Harmony Central reviews all say that the thing sucks out the low end. However, Visual Sound is coming out with a new version that adds a bass boost. It hasn't been released yet, but you might want to check it out when it does. I'm thinking it might solve your low end problem and retain that tube screamer quality at the same time.

The website for that is www.visualsound.net.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

10. RAT or TURBO RAT (I think that they may also make a bass version of the RAT called the "Juggernaut")

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ooooh. lots of knobs, I'll have to check it out

edit: the best natural sounding overdrives in my experience are the fulltone bassdrive, ebs multidrive and dredgetone angler

12. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Fulltone Bass Drive

13. Hardly natural sounding. That is hard-clip square-wave distortion, not overdrive.

A real smooth bass overdrive is the "Blue Tube". The Fulltone is great too.

Check the mega thread, you'll see alot of good suggestions.

14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    me too.