lookin for a new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigmcgiv, Apr 5, 2005.

1. bigmcgiv

Mar 29, 2005
    i looking for a rig . im looking for the best bang for the buck . what do you suggest. tks matt

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No info...

what type of music, what type of band...what type of bass...what size gigs...what kind of sound you like...

no profile either..

No suggestions.
  3. bigmcgiv

Mar 29, 2005
    classic rock a fender mim jazz bass
  4. bigmcgiv

Mar 29, 2005
    small clubs. sorry about the profile im a newbie
  5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Cool. The size/wattage/volume and tone of the myriad of amps available is pretty diverse.

Do you have a specific budget? Do you want an all-in-one combo or a amp head and cabinet? If you can't put yer ideal tone into words are there any bass player that you'd like to emulate their sound?

Are you in a band where you have to compete with a slammer of a drummer and Marshall stacks, or a light fisted drummer and guitar players who value their ears?

You should also tell everyone where you're from, as not all gear is available in all countries.

Last but not least, you should check out the search function and go through the last 4 or 5 pages on the amp part of TB...there are lots of threads about this.
  6. bigmcgiv

Mar 29, 2005
    well im looking for a head and cabinet with 2 10s . the drummer isnt a pounder and im looin for something versitle. also im from pennsylvainia ,usa. ill fill out my profile later on sry.
  7. bigmcgiv

Mar 29, 2005
    see im getting back into playing i havent played in 9 years and i want to start again . i had a old kustom rig and . i like the tube sound. :)
  8. --DELETED---

Only Contributing Members may offer gear for sale, and then in the classified section.
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    ^^ Good deal, I'd go for it.
  10. I wouls say go with an Avatar 2x10 cab from www.avatarspeakers.com and maybe one of the heads from there as well
  11. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    If you look used, i'd say a Mesa/Boogie Diesel 210.

If you want new, an Avatar.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on Avatar
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound also make extremely good cabs (including 2x10's) for the money.

On the head side, Kustom just happens to make a head that it making a big hit with some folks here. ;) I really like the EA iAMP heads, though they aren't the most affordable (though still rank high on the "band for the buck" scale, IMHO). The Mesa Boogie Walkabout is another killer little head, though the prices seem to be going up on the used market. Ashdown makes some fairly affordable heads, though I have not tried them, personally.
  14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

They have some very cool new products out. I run their new Kustom Groove Bass 1200 head (yes, 1200 watts!) along with Avatar cabs (a 1x12 on bottom and a 2x10 on top). New, with warranty, KILLER rig (head and 2 cabs) for about $1000 shipped to your door if you know where to look... I got my head from my local dealer for $485 (go to Kustom.com to find your local dealer) and the cabs you can get directly from Avatarspeakers.com. Good luck!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good call, Tom.

I just pulled the trigger on a Groove Bass 1200, myself. I tried it out on Quadzilla and Sutton's recommendations...very impressive head.
  16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I would seriously look at used gear. The first place to look is right here...down in the classified section...TB members seem to give better deals to eachother and are a pretty trustworthy bunch.

A few people have mentioned Avatar for a source. I agree. They make good solid cabs with good speakers and sound for a very reasonable price.

Dave at Avatar has good deals on cabs and heads...that Ashdown MAG300 and Hartke 3500 have plenty of fans around these parts...

I have also heard good things about Dr. Bass stuff.

You said that you liked tube tone, but tubes are expensive. If you want an all tube amp used is gonna be your best bet. There are Sunn, Ampeg, Mesa, Trace Elliot,etc. heads out there (I prefer/use a Mesa). Otherwise, if you're on a budget I'd think about a 'hybrid' amp...one that has a tube pre amp and a solid state power amp...they're cheaper and plentiful on the new and second hand market and are lighter on yer back. They'll get you closer to that tube sound without breaking the bank.

It seems like that Kustom head is the up-an-coming choice for bang fer yer buck. Lots of people seem to be picking them up and are happy with them.

Check out Harmony Central reviews too! I find them to be wildly uneven, but you can at least get a feel for what you're looking at.

If you can try gear locally, do...that way you can get your ears in on the deal, not just your checkbook.
  17. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Lol, Quadzilla and I are pretty much clones. I'd recommend that you get the Kustom 1200 Groove head aswell, and then go to AvatarSpeakers.com and pick up the 212 cabinet. Thats my current rig, and its downright awesome. I plan on getting a 410 eventually, but its almost unneeded, because the 212 and Groove kick everything ass without the 10s
  18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'd second Tomboullous comments on the Low Down Sound cabs. I'm running a 2 X 10 neo, that moves almost as much air as my 410T eden and only weighs 50 lbs. less. I have a friend who just sold an EPI 210 UL to buy the Low Down. Now I'm not convinced there as good as the EPI, but there Damm close and the EPI sells for 50% more USED!!! The avatar is no doubt great stuff for the money, but from what I've seen Don's stuff is very competitive with some of the High end names in the industry for not a whole lot more then Avatar. I would love to see a "budget" shootout, with DR. Bass, Avatar, Low Down, and Hartke. And Maybe just for comparison sakes a couple of high end caps thrown in! I have a feeling that many of the so called " budget cabs" would hold there own with some of the big boys, and you may see price increase with some of them soon.