Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lookin' for a rack case...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Superfrappe, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Hey all. So my new Mesa head is the first rackable amp I've ever owned, and I need to find a good rack for it. I'm thinking of starting out with a 4 space unit, since my M-Pulse 600 is 2 rack spaces, and then I'll toss a tuner and maybe a Furman conditioner in the other.

Can anyone recommend a great rack case? The guy at GC tried to sell me an SKB one, but it was really cheap looking, and didn't lock or anything. (I think it was the bottom of the line)

Thanks in advance!

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The SKB ATA style racks should be sturdy enough for most situations. If you plan on going on tour you probably want something tougher and more protective. The good thing about the SKB's are their weight. They are nice and light. IMO they are overpriced though. And I would stay away from their roto line. I personally use a Grundorf 6 space and it is tough as nails. It weighs a good 30 lbs empty though. Look around on ebay for used racks if you want to save some money.

3. Bonzai

Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Big Deal cases or Discount Distributors are both great companys. They can build you a case to your exact specifications. Heres links for them:

Big Deal Cases

Discount Distributors

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I really like my 6-space Roto Rack. But here's the caveat: the gear I use doesn't weigh much (my power amp weighs only 17 pounds), and I always move it myself.

5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
  6. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Personally, I don't see what good locking a case would do. Aside from knob-twiddling. If someone is gonna rip it, they'll take the case, too. That said, Gator's SKB clones have locks front and rear. For my purposes, SKBs fill the bill. I do have some clones which work fine, too. I like the newer series SKBs with the 'bumpers' around the edges...it protects the flange area. One big surprise for me...I LIKE the Rotos!!! If you get past the fact that there are no rear rails and an 'access door' replaces the rear cover (neither matter for my application-two Yamaha CP2000s in a four-space Roto, semi-local gigs only) they are actually VERY strong. IMO, none of the molded cases would be suited for serious touring. For that , I'd recommend the Anvil/Calzone or equivalent HALF inch (not quarter-inch) full-blown ATA cases with recessed hardware. Very costly if you don't need the protection, priceless if you do.

Kim

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I would stay away from the SKB cases. They do not hold up well on the road. The latches break off very easily. If you are using the case to organize a rack and it will not be doing any traveling, then I would get it. But if you want to protect your gear, you should look at Calzone or Clydesdale. Either company is great. I have had one Clydesdale for 7 years and it has held up very well to airplanes, busses and drunk roadies.

hope this helps

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I agree with Davehenning. I've had problems with the latches on two different SKB racks (not the cheap ones). Never had a problem with my Calzone.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Is it just me or do hybridcases and discount distributors sell the exact same things? Are they the same company?

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    My girlfriend bought me a Hybrid 8 space rack, from Hybrid, on Ebay. This was my Christmas present.

The price was decent but shipping was $60 for UPS ground! :eek: Give me a break? She questioned them on it but they said that's what the charge was. They pretty much said tough $**t on her complaint about the shipping price and she was kinda stuck as it was a week or two before Christmas.

So before jumping on what seems like a good deal for the Hybrid case, please check the shipping price as it seems that's how they gouge you. (end of rant)

For a fairly lightweight amp head I've really had great luck with the ProTech rack bags. The 4 space is the biggest I'd use. I've got a Fafner in one and a WT-800+Korg tuner in a 3 space.

I've just never liked the "ice chest" look and feel of the SKB's. They just aren't my thing. I do like the Grundorf carpeted racks. I've got a six space that is very well built.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I know what you mean about the SKB's. My 7-space Anvil (non-ATA) was much more professional looking. However I got tired of dealing with the minuses:
    1) Weight. SKB is much lighter.
    2) The Anvil's latching hardware was on the rack where it would sometimes rattle, not on the removable lids.
    3) Flat plywood on top, bottom, and sides. The advantage to the SKB flexible plastic "ice chest" design is shock absorption. I'd much rather the rack get damaged than the gear inside!

I think I'd be hesitant about a carpeted rack for the same reason I'm not crazy about carpeted speaker cabs: they can be a dust and stink magnet. :meh: But there are always tradeoffs; as always, YMMV.

12. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I agree Jerry. Good advice on the shipping cost. I bought a 4 space Hybrid on Ebay and shipping was $35 if I remember correctly. Still I was very satisfied, with the case listing for $233 and my winning bid of $85. Shipping was VERY slow, possibly due to the Christmas holiday. It's a good looking case, but only 1/4" plywood. I'll rant later if it doesn't hold up.

13. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA

14. Thanks man, but for now, I'm in the market for a 4 space. After buying a new mesa rig, I can't afford two more rack units for a little while, at least!

How 'bout that blizzard! :bag: