Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lookin for a recomendation...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tyler Kelly, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Tyler Kelly

Tyler Kelly

Sep 1, 2002
    Santa Rosa
    I lookin to buy myself a new 6 stringer, and was wondering if anyone give any recomendations about their experience with their 6-stringer, and some prices. I'd LIKE to get an Alembic (any good bassist should know what these are. I had the good fortune to play one once. I creamed my shorts ;) ) but I don't think I'll be getting that one any time soon. I was lookin at a dean whatever it was that was about $700, except that the strings are too close to pop easily (thank you huge hands).
    I'm not set on what type of neck to get, though I will probably go for a through-body construction. I'm really favoring active pickups (though could use recomendations on specific types that are good) and 24 frets is a must (I like the high notes).
    ANyway, any information/experiences would be most welcome

TYler

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think Munji, John Turner, and Gard like the Carlo Robelli a lot.

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    If you have enough money to get an Alembic then check out the Rogue (not Rogue the company, Alembic Rogue series) they are pretty cool:)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How much do you have to spend?

5. Tyler Kelly

Tyler Kelly

Sep 1, 2002
    Santa Rosa
    I have around $1000 or so to spend, which is the main reason I don't get an Alembic (but if I do get enough money, I'll look at the rogues)

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    $1000 is kind of pushing it for a decent 6-string.

Think about a bare bones Carvin with a solid finish. Build quality for these is very good at all price levels. People slag on the electronics, but they produce useable tones throughout their range and are pretty quiet, which can't be said for a lot of basses.

The Ibanez BTBs aren't bad in terms of construction.

The Curbow 6 is pretty well made for a plastic instrument. The look is an acquired taste.

The string spacing on the Dean is way too narrow IMO. Ditto the cheapo Washburn.

7. embellisher

If you look around, you can get a Peavey Cirrus 6 for $1000, sometimes less, if you don't mind buying used.

I own a Cirrus 6, and I have yet to find a 6 under $2500 that I like as much. Great tone, great slapper(if you're into that).

8. Tyler Kelly

Tyler Kelly

Sep 1, 2002
    Santa Rosa
    I was feelin the same thing about the dean.
    I think I'll start looking into a cirrus 6, but can you tell me what the string spacing is like?

And I have no problems buying used.

Tyler

9. embellisher

String spacing is about average for a 6, 16.5+ mm. And it is adjustable. I have mine at 17.2 mm between the D-G and the G-C strings. The spacing is at about 16.5 on the lower strings. I did this by putting the outer strings as close to the edge of the neck as they will go, without slipping off when fretted aggressively.

10. Tyler Kelly

Tyler Kelly

Sep 1, 2002
    Santa Rosa
    Thanks for the help, now I know what to start lookin for.

11. I just got a Cort Curbo 6. New $400.00. It has a plastic body and finger board which is a bit different I must admit. The tone and playability is surprising to say the least.

12. voodooreal

voodooreal

Oct 20, 2002
    troy, AL
    Do not get a dean edge 6. I owned one and traded it for an ibenez 5 string. Check out the ibenez BTB series they have low action and are very easy to play. Plus they sustain forever.

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I had a feeling you would say hanewinckel.. don't know why :D

I have yet to play a hanewinckel.. but from what I have heard these basses rock solid.

I would also agree with embellisher about a peavey Cirrus 6-string.. Every time I see one, I am tempted...