Lookin' for EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, May 11, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm lookin for a EQ pedal/rack for my basses and i talked to the local store about it today, he suggested that i look into a bass eq pedal like the boss Geb-7 who is built for bass. The racks are great but i have no use of the high frequncies he said. The MXR M-108 goes higher and deeper than the Boss GEB. Has anybody any experience of that pedal? Didn't find anything while searching.

Which should i look at, and please, answer quick, if i order the pedal/rack soon i may get it for a gig that soons coming :)
  2. If you already have a rack setup, and the EQ will be 'on' all the time, then I suggest getting a rack EQ. Either a graphic (sliders) or a parametric (knobs). Much less prone to be kicked when it's in a rack.

For pedals, I think both the Boss and MXR are good, but it seems the MXR is a little more flexible.
  3. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Most rack eqs are meant for PA use, i find that they're better for subtle EQ adustments. I definitely have use for the high frequencies on my rack EQ (just for removed excess humming and string/fret noise).

Really depends on your aplication. im actually starting to find i dont need a EQ, the EQ section on my guitar and amp can do all the EQin i need
  4. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I had good luck with a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ Bass ($170):
    * 5-band EQ
    * DI
    * Compression
    * Low-cut (high-pass) filter

If you're really getting into EQ, I suggest either having a high-pass filter so you can cut low-end "boominess", or a parametric EQ with a low "shelf" that can maybe do the same thing.
  5. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    i've come across threads where people talk abut how to do with the 800 frequencie, is that a important frenquencie because it's not available on the MXR 10-band stompbox which i'm very interested in.
  6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I saw a Trace Elliot SM-7 for sale somewhere for $50.00- maybe at the Dudepit?

7. I had the Boss GE-7 for guitar. Hated it. It produced massive amounts of hiss if you moved it up or down off the zero DB point.

I suggest a good Rack mount EQ with high S/N ratio (Signal to Noise).
    Also, whether you use them or not...the 10khz slider will kill most all the hiss in a horn when cut to -10db without effecting the overall sound of your bass.

8. Isn't the GE-7 the gu**ar one?
  9. :D
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've used the Boss GEB-7. It worked well for me. It also makes a good booster when you just use the level slider and keep the EQ flat.
  11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

Though i am not very knowledgeable about the specifics of eq, the fishman pro is top shelf. It is designed for bass. No noise. Tons of variability. Plus its a di, has a tuner out and it has a very well regarded photo-optic compressor which adds no noise either. You can get them for $169 new or about $100 used.
  12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Plus it can drive a power amp.....
  13. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I'd be surprised if the Fishman does a good job driving a power-amp. I've got a Bass PODxt that has an output switchable between -10dB and +4dB, but although loud, I think the Fishman is really just -10dB.
  14. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    GEB-7 does pretty well for me. Very little noise from what I've seen. It does have just a slight colorization of your tone even when set flat though. Not really noticable.
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    In and of itself, 800 isn't a particularly important band. anything from 500 to 1k will do for reducing upper mid 'honk'. EQ's and specific EQ points are extremely bass and rig sensitive. One EQ that works for me may not work for you at all. Differences in pickups, strings, can have an impact. Not to mention cabinets and amps ... and don't get started on the acoustic environment and when the environment is empty (sound-check) or full (hopefully !) ...

One rule of thumb. A gross generalization if you will, is that an EQ will not make a bad rig sound good. It will help a good sounding rig sound a little better - or much worse if mis-applied. Like compression EQ is best used with discretion.
  16. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a Trace Elliot 7 band graphic EQ pedal that I'm selling if anyone is interested :D