Lookin' For Grit!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fclefgeoff, Mar 13, 2003.

1. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Hi all. I am using a Modulus VJ4 with Barts and a Sadowsky Outboard through an SWR Silverado and am EXTREMELY happy with my tone. However, sometimes I wish it were a little dirtier sounding. So, I am looking for some opinions on an overdrive/distortion pedal. I used to own a Budda Phatbass and dumped it because I didn't use it enough (idiot!). I liked the "tube" sound alot though but I am wondering if there is something comparable but more affordable sans tubes. I already have a decent preamp/DI (the Sadowsky) so I'm really looking for a OD/Disto pedal only. Also, I should probably mention that I don't play Punk or Metal so I'm not looking for over the top crunch just something that kinda resembles an overdriven tube amp. Any suggestions?

BTW, I have done a search and wasn't satisfied...
    :spit: ;) :D
  2. This wee box sounds massive and very natural. I has usurped all other fuzzes and OD's on my board. Heartily recommended!

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    try using a tube guitar combo, or a guitar tube preamp.... and run ether one through the effects send and return.... Thus fatning up the signal... I use a peavey rockmaster tube preamp for grit... It sounds exelent.... When it is run through my sansamp RBI it is real phat...

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    A Tech21 Bass Driver is good for overdrive. I use it to get an Ampeg type of sound when I go direct into the board. It has an overdriven sound, without being distorted.
  5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Hey Mad Sub, can you post a clip of this bad boy in action? I'd really like to hear it. Maybe it's possible that you could post a "dry" clip & then one with the dredge?
  6. Don't know how to do that, sorry....It sounds juicy and fat with boatloads of clear bass. Not ratty like a fuzz, not blurry like a Sansamp. Thick and large with the right amount of snarl and furr.