Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lookin' For that Cliff Burton Sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm looking for that Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning sound from Cliff Burton. Does anyone else play his sound? What pedals do you use? I heard he used a Morley Fuzz Wah, but I can only find a Morley Wah Pedal.

EDIT: Since we're on the subject of Fuzz Wahing, does anyone know what Tim Commerford uses? (Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave.)

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Cliff used a green Russian version of the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff, and a Morley Power Wah Boost. The wah pedal isn't made anymore, but sometimes appears on Ebay. To get that sound, I use a Morley Pro Series Wah II, and a USA re-issue Big Muff, and I can get pretty close to Cliff's sound. Now I just need the chops! :)

Graeme

P.S. I think Tim used a Boss ODB-3 Overdrive, but I'm not sure.

3. According to an article I read a while back, Tim uses a combination of custom / home-made overdrive units.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yes he does. He also uses three separate rigs. One is mostly clean, one is moderately crunchy and the other is over the top grind. He also uses two Dunlop bass wah pedals that have a piece of wood connecting the rockers. This allows him to have the same sweep on separate rigs. Hope this helps.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What a l33t bassist man... I've always thought about hooking up two pedals with a stick. :D

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Cliff used a Power Wah Boost and a green Russian Big Muff Pi. I can get the sound pretty well with a slightly modded American Reissue Big Muff and a Morley Pro Series II Bass Wah. Any Morley Wah will get you close to the same sound I've found.

Tim C. used a Boss ODB-3 I believe with a homemade unit with a pair of Dunlop 105Q's fed into different rigs.

7. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I picked up a used Morley Power Wah this weekend at a local shop. It's nice. The sweep is pretty broad, but there is one "spot" where it jumps directly from bass to treble. Kind of hard to make a smooth transition in this position of the sweep.
    Can anyone help me here? (I hope I'm being clear enough.)

Other than that, the pedal is great. The volume side is smooth and the boost... get outta town! I just barely turn the knob and I'm blown out of the room! And that's wjith my amp turned way down... probably at a #2 volume - between 7 & 8 o'clock. I can imagine this thing full on... WOW!

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use a Morley PWB, and you are right about the boost- it blows you away. I'm always afraid to use it live, for fear it will blow my speakers.

As for the wah jumping from bass to treble- I don't have that problem.

Ted

9. i use the metal zone on my Boss GT6 B for playing anesthesia..
    in combination with Cry baby Wah or Vox V846 Wah and the sound is very nice and comes close to a real cool live - bass solo from Clive!
    What does Jason now use when he plays For whom the bell tolls???
    Does anybody know about this?
    on the live sh*t dvd it sounds like some kind of synth wah..
    greez :bassist:

it comes close only according to the sound, never to the brilliancy of playing. hehe :smug: respect to cliff!! r.i.p.

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I know Jason has a Morley PWB and Big Muff Pi on his Effect board too.

Ted

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    He uses Cliff's old effects. IIRC, they legally belong to the band and Jason left them when he left the band.

12. I can get Tim Commerford's sound pretty easily with a Digitech BNX3. And although I don't have any recordings yet, I can get Cliff's sound as well.
    COCHISE