Lookin' for the WAL!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by undertoad, May 23, 2001.

1. undertoad

May 23, 2001
    San Diego CA,
    Im looking for a nice Bass with some really good low end ,some decent mid and a nice high and have been told by some that the bass to get is a WAL.
    My questions are do any of you out there play with a Wal ,if so ,what do you think and where ,in SO CAL ,can i find some?
    thanks much in advance
  2. undertoad

May 23, 2001
    San Diego CA,
    ok let me rephrase the questions

1.Has anyone heard of a Wal bass (Justin Chancellor of TooL uses them)
    2.Does any one here play one (if yes to 1)
    3.How do they sound (if yes to 2)
    4.Where can i find some in Southern California
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Wals are really nice basses, but they do a LOT more than what Justin Chancellor does with them. He really only scratches the surface, tone wise. You can get his sound with a bass that costs much less and is easier to find. I can get a Stingray 5 to sound like that easily.

LA Bass Exchange might be a good place to start.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    to address 3

The Wal bass has an unusual control set up. The knobs are volume balance and tone for each pickup. Three of the knobs have pull functions. One is a click attack or pre set presence. The tone controls are passive treble roll off types. However when the pull function is engaged it becomes a quasi-parametric. The Q and boost are pre-set but the frequency is selected by the tone control. The start and finish points for the range is different for each pickup. So it can be passive or active or both (1 pu passive 1 pu active). The effect of the active mode is similar to having a wah wah pedal for each pickup and leaving it static at the frequency you want to boost.

Thats the long answer. The short answer is try one.
  5. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    we stock wal's at Bass Central, we have 7 or 8 on the wall right now..its a veritable wall of Wals :) Justin Chancellor indeed does use them, but so do lots of other folks such as Percy Jones, Mick Karn (does he still use his..maybe I'm confusing him with someone else) Laurence Cottle and lots of other jazzers.

On topic though, you really can make a Wal sound like anything you want. I still haven't figured out how the EQ works and I've played around with them, but its amazing the range of tones you get out of them.

A word of advice, though, PLEASE, I urge you, PLEASE do not buy a bass because "so and so" plays one. Just because they play one doesn't mean it will suit you or your style...and if you do, and you don't like it you'll be out at least $2500 dollars..and thats alot of money on something you fail to like. So find one (You mentioned you lived in LA, try the LA bass exchange..as mentioned here already) or give Bass Central a call at 1800-545-8813 or email Beaver at bc@basscentral.com. If you do indeed call, ask to talk to Mark, as he currently owns 3 or 4 (don't remember the exact number) Wals and he's a total, ahem, excuse the cheesy pun, "wal-nut". He'll be happy to talk with you about them if you're seriously interested.

Hope you find what you were looking for.

6. undertoad

May 23, 2001
    San Diego CA,
    No no no dont get me wrong I wasnt looking for a Wal because Justin plays them.I was looking for one for about 2 years befor I even heard that he played Wal.Ive just heard good things about them from poeple who have heard the way i play and they say that with the sound im looking for the Wal is the bass to get.
    Anways I appriciate all the replys and am happy to say that I am the proud owner 2 new basses
    A Wal 4 string and just the most beautiful Warwick frettless.(Ive been saving for a while)
  7. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Congrats..get us some pictures of those Bad boys.

Also, I'd be getting either a Wal 5 or fretless 4, but this Zon came in and the deal was too good to be..so I snatched the Zon instead..but I will have a wal, yes, my pretties..

[editted to say more stuff..hit reply button impusively]
  8. Just to add a few users:

Geddy Lee of Rush

Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

I had more, but I forgot them in the process of writing... I'll be 19 in 2 weeks or so and I am already losing my memory! :D
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I played a Geddy Lee model about 6 years ago & wanted to buy it but it was the same day I played my 1st Spector. I still want to get one but I don't want to spend $3000 on it. :( I have to say from what I remember, it was SUPER VERSATILE!!!!!!!
  10. Jeff ament has two fretless Wals
  11. undertoad

May 23, 2001
    San Diego CA,
    HA I wish I could get some pictures up but alas I cant due to the fact that right now im using my Dreamcast to browse the net,and it could eb quite a while befor I get my new compute.r