Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lookin for vintage tone...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    im shopping around and doin all kinds of research right now cause next month im purchasing a new rig. im lookin for vintage tone. somethin like john paul jones or noel redding. i have an american fender jazz bass. i hear the sunn 300t's rock. any other LOUD vintage sounding heads out there? im also puzzled on what cab to get. fender? sunn? id like to get a 410. would one of these 410's be loud enough since they are 8 ohm? any opinions? all help is appreciated. thanx

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you want real vintage tone get a real vintage rig. i.e. old ampeg or something like that.

3. Here's a couple of my vintage sounding rigs. I use 15's and 12's and turn the treble and tone down. If you want loud, get an old Ampeg SVT and cabinet.

Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I'd second the recommendations that you get vintage gear -- an SVT or a Sunn 2000S or something like that, with either a 4-10" or 2-15" cab (whatever suits your taste).

5. Throbbinnut, is that a Dano nifty 70 I see in that bottom pic on the left? What do you think of that little sucker?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bass POD?

7. Yes it is, and I don't like it. I've basically given it to a guy who is starting out on the bass. It's too quiet to play with anyone else, and I snagged my original practice amp, a Fender Musicmaster Bass, after I got the Nifty 70. The tube Fender blows it away in tone.

Basically, it's not a bad amp, it's just not my cup of tea. I'd go for a Fender Musicmaster Bass or old Bassman 20 tube amp. Check eBay or www.ugbm.com for these 2 amps, you can snag one for about $150 - $200, and they are worth it for low volume jams.

Chris

8. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i found a vintage v-4b and svt 410 cab. my question is will this be enough to stand up against my guitarists half stack? (line 6 head with ampeg 4x12 cab celestion equipped) right now im usin a 100 watt solid state combo amp with a 15 inch speaker and i hate it. horrible tone, muddy, and not even close to being loud enough. doesnt help that my drummer sounds like hes playin with baseball bats lol.

9. That's my V4B up in the picture on top of the Fender 4-12. I've never used a 4-10, but the V4B is a rockin loud amp. It's 100 Watts, but sounds louder, with good natural tube distortion. If you're after the old sound, it's a good way to get it. You'll probably be loud enough. I'd use it no problem. In fact, I used the V4B through a 1-18 cabinet with no PA backup, and was always plenty loud even up against 3 100 Watt tube half-stacks with 4-12's each. They obviously didn't turn up all the way, and my 18" sugar scoop was loud, but it still worked.

Chris

10. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    thank you very much. i really appreciate it. =) i cant wait to get my new rig. well kick a$$ used rig any way hehe. now i just gotta wait for my check this week and order these bad boys. oh man im not gonna sleep til it arrives. =)

11. Thanks throbbinnut, I think I'll take your advice. I would like to have a nice little amp like that but I have heard good things about the new Bassman 25, or I might look into finding one of those tube Bassman 20s. I would like to have battery power for true portability though.