Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lookin' Sharp!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by TroyK, Dec 23, 2005.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have some dedicated practice space in my mostly finished out basement. It's got carpet, drywall and some sound proofing, but not heat or air. Seattle is usually pretty stable humidity wise, but we did have a clear spell and it just started raining again. Not a dramatic weather shift.

When I went down to practice last night all 4 strings were almost a 1/2 step sharp. I had been out of town for a few days, so I had last tuned it probably 3 days earlier.

This struck me as odd. Has to be either the weather change or a mischievous gnome playing games with me. Anyone have information supporting either theory?

2. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    I think definitely a weather change...maybe you might want to get a thermo/hygrometer from walmart or something that has a memory of the highest and lowest temps and humidities.

I've had some days in my college practice rooms that had the bass a whole step out of tune and condensation on the places where the finish had rubbed off. Sucks...

Chad

3. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    your wet bass expanded and the top stretched out more than your strings