Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lookin' to buy some Jaco Albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Aaron, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm thinking of buying the following Jaco Albums:

-Invitation (Twins) $50
    -Ian Hunter - All American Alien Boy $13
    -RARE COLLECTION 50th ANNIVERSARY EDITION $30
    or
    -RARE COLLECTION $30
    -Trilogue:Live at the Berlin Jazz Days $25

Would i be dissapointed by any of these? Secondly, is there a difference between the Rare Collection albums? I think one is a '99 release and the other is a '01, but i'm not sure. Are these priced reasonably? Are there any other albums i should probably get instead of these (i already have all of his Weather Report Stuff, joni mitchell stuff, Bright Size Life, the debut, the one w/ metheny and bley, word of mouth, b-day concert, i think i'm forgetting one...)

Thanks in advance.

An other question, at this one website, they had letters, like D, E, and J, next to the format ( (D)DVD, (E)CD, (J)CD...) What does that mean? I noticed the the Js were quite a bit more expensive, and Ds were the cheapest.

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    first off

j-japanese import
    e-european import
    d-domestic

twins is the only one i really recommend. the ian hunter album is pretty avoidable. i picked it up on vinyl and still have never listened to the entire album. i cant get through the thing.

the albert mangelsdorff(sp) album is ok. its in the same vein as the paul bley album(ie no compositions) if you dig that album than by all means pick up trilogue.

if you havent already, check out standards zone. thats a good album to hear him in a different context.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Are the other Brian Melvin albums comparable to "Standards Zone?" I've listened to "Standards Zone" before, and enjoyed it.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    I like the Manglesdorff cd... a lot.
    It's definitely in a 'free' & loose vibe. My only complaint is Jaco's tone...IMO, it's not what we are normally used to hearing.

Standards Zone is a piano trio doing 'standards'. The other Melvin discs contain larger ensembles & the material varies...Pop to R&B to Jazz. If I hadda pick only one, I'd opt for Night Food over Jazz Street. Night Food contains the burner, "Dania"(a Jaco composition that opened a lotta Word Of Mouth Big Band shows).

The Rare Collection(I bought this is '99, I think) indeed has some rare nuggets.
    The highlights for me-
    "I Can Dig It Baby"-Little Beaver(though I already have the original Little Beaver album).
    "The One Thing"-Manola Badrena(original album is called Manola...I've never even seen it). Jaco is playing one of those Latin-ized ostinatos, similiar to "Used To Be A Cha-Cha".
    "Spiral"-Bob Mintzer(originally from Source...another one I have been looking for). "Spiral" is a composed tune(unlike "The Nativity" w/ Airto)...
    Jaco takes a nice melodic solo.
    "Portrait Of Sal Rosa"-Ira Sullivan...kinda similiar to the aforementioned Manola tune(another album I have never seen).
    Finally, the Flora Purim tune, "The Hope", from Everyday, Everynight...another album I have searching for! ;)

Another 'rarity' that coulda/sholuda made this collection a little 'better'-
    "3AM" from Herbie Hancock's Mr. Hands album...this coulda taken the place of the Mike Stern tune(IMO).

So, if I were you, I would definitely pick up Twins...bear in mind that 1/2 the material on this double-disc can be found on Invitation!
    Still, Shorter's "Elegant People" is found ONLY on Twins.

Don't forget-
    The Early Years: A Portarit Of Jaco is supposed to be out in March...

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    elegant people was almost enough a reason alone to buy twins. plus some of the tracks on invitation are edited down compared to the versions on the double disc.

i really like the stern track. i think they play it as a straight ahead tune on one of the live from new york discs. the quality sucks, but its still pretty cool.

curtain call is o.k. too. the only reason i bought it though was because my local music store had it for less than what audiophile imports was selling it for.

and even though jaco doesnt play on it, i actually like holiday for pans. city of angels is a great song. imo jaco's playing was so cliche riden in the 80's that you cant really tell that the bass player on there isnt really him.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey POT-
    ...something to consider: you can spend $25 for the Trilogue album OR spend $29.95 & get all THREE of the Mangelsdorff LIVE Trio albums on 2 cds. This is what I have...the 1st live set features Elvin Jones paired with Palle Danielsson; 2nd set is Jaco/Mouzon; 3rd set has Jenny Clark with Ronald Shannon Jackson.
    Check www.dustygrooves.com (Search "Jaco Pastorius")
    I'm already sorry I stumbled onto their site...man, they have gotta a lotta cool stuff!.