Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking 4 an inexpensive slapper

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimmyb, Apr 2, 2005.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb An Avid Indoorsman Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    Seem to recall one of the yamaha bb series wasn't bad a while back but I can't remember the model #. Anyone remember?
    Oh well, Would like to get back into playing after a couple of years away. Can anyone give me some advice on a good inexpensive funk/slap bass?

2. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
  3. First thing that comes to mind is a Fender Marcus Miller 4......GREAT bass for the money, add a Sadowsky outboard preamp, a set of Sadowsky Nickel strings and BAAAAAMMM, slap heaven.......I would advise you to play a number of them before buying, I played about a dozen or so over a period of time until I lucked up and found a guy who really needed the money and had a keeper I picked up on the cheap....you can find these used sometimes for 400.00 or so......got mine for 325.00!!!!!

Good Hunting....

Peace,

T

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've checked some OLP's that have pretty nice pop, especially considering the $$. You'll need to try a few, they're like any other inexpensive assembly line bolt-on, you've got to sniff out the winner. The less expensive Warwick is also a great idea.
    Good Luck!!

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My Hamer USA cruise bass was $500 and has a killer J-bass slap tone. A Fender MIA Jazz would also be great. Used stingrays are usually under $800.

Shop used! Your dollars go a whole lot farther!

6. Oh, how I hate you. Almost as much as I long for a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass. I would second this recommendation. Even stock, it's a killer bass.

7. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    My Traben's quite a nice slapper. Very punchy. Here in the UK used stingrays are around £700, I got my Traben for half of that, including shipping and hardcase from the USA...

...We get so ripped off here in the UK :crying: Fender don't let companies ship their instruments overseas :scowl:

8. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Fender Mexican Zone. Great slap tone.

9. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Fl
    I would suggest a washburn RB2000. It is essentially a musicman that is much cheaper. They sell for about 200- 250
    excellent buy for the price.