Looking 4 an inexpensive slapper

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimmyb, Apr 2, 2005.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb "A lifetime spent in groove's pocket" Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    Seem to recall one of the yamaha bb series wasn't bad a while back but I can't remember the model #. Anyone remember?
    Oh well, Would like to get back into playing after a couple of years away. Can anyone give me some advice on a good inexpensive funk/slap bass?
  2. RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
  3. First thing that comes to mind is a Fender Marcus Miller 4......GREAT bass for the money, add a Sadowsky outboard preamp, a set of Sadowsky Nickel strings and BAAAAAMMM, slap heaven.......I would advise you to play a number of them before buying, I played about a dozen or so over a period of time until I lucked up and found a guy who really needed the money and had a keeper I picked up on the cheap....you can find these used sometimes for 400.00 or so......got mine for 325.00!!!!!

Good Hunting....

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've checked some OLP's that have pretty nice pop, especially considering the $$. You'll need to try a few, they're like any other inexpensive assembly line bolt-on, you've got to sniff out the winner. The less expensive Warwick is also a great idea.
    Good Luck!!
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My Hamer USA cruise bass was $500 and has a killer J-bass slap tone. A Fender MIA Jazz would also be great. Used stingrays are usually under $800.

Shop used! Your dollars go a whole lot farther!
  6. Oh, how I hate you. Almost as much as I long for a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass. I would second this recommendation. Even stock, it's a killer bass.
  7. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    My Traben's quite a nice slapper. Very punchy. Here in the UK used stingrays are around £700, I got my Traben for half of that, including shipping and hardcase from the USA...

...We get so ripped off here in the UK :crying: Fender don't let companies ship their instruments overseas :scowl:
  8. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Fender Mexican Zone. Great slap tone.
  9. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    I would suggest a washburn RB2000. It is essentially a musicman that is much cheaper. They sell for about 200- 250
    excellent buy for the price.